We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

I will resume flying across the Atlantic constantly, from New York to Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

I have flown BA's WT+ in the past with good experiences. However, I have been hearing and reading very good reviews about Turkish Airlines COMFORT CLASS on board its B777-300ERs and its recent AWARD for having one of the Best Premium Economy service. I've also seen that fares on Turkish Airlines could be lower to certain destinations I will be flying to.

Any comments/suggestions to use Turkish Airlines or British Airways, considering first of all the service on board and seat comfort, and then the benefits of either Frequent Flyer Program?

malta
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

I haven't flow BA for a long time but flew Turkish Comfort Class from Istanbul to Hong Kong return in January / February this year. The seat was excellent, on a par with many business class seats, although not the lie flat variety. Seat pitch was excellent at 46 inches and I could get past my husband easily, even with his legs raised. The food was superb, as good as Emirates business class and served on china with heavy duty cutlery. There was way too much for me to eat. I normally hate long haul flights but actually enjoyed these two . There is a rumour that this class will be discontinued by Turkish which would be a great pity as it is excellent value for money. We went out of our way to experience it and had to overnight in Istanbul but it was absolutely worthwhile.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

We flew Turkish last year and were pleasantly surprised, service and food was very good but BA is also one of our favourite airlines so I would go with price/schedule.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

Thanks for your comments, they are very helpful.

I hope Turkish Airlines doesn't discontinue Comfort Class because it looks like they have a great product/service at very competitive prices.

Edited: 7:39 am, March 21, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

I've heard very good things from learned friends about TK Comfort Plus and if it is offering 46" pitch that's very good indeed for premium economy, far better than BA's WT+ at 38" pitch.

One thing to bear in mind if you are doing this "constantly" (now for some people flying "a lot" is twice a year so this may not apply) is your frequent flyer scheme and status. BA are oneworld and so partner with American Airlines and (soon to be) US Airways for your domestic travels. If you manage seven trips a year between NYC and continental Europe (or five trips to Africa/Middle East) then you'll get BA Gold status. First class lounge access, access to arrivals lounges off longhaul flights, massive amounts of bonus miles, which you can use to upgrade to business class proper etc. Their product may not be as hot but the ability to upgrade to a far better cabin is plentiful and easy.

Caveat, if you go Turkish they are in the Star Alliance which are more based around the numbers of miles you fly but the equivalent status in Star Alliance typically requires 100,000 miles (thinking United here) or 66,667 miles in premium cabins.

From personal experience I find the oneworld status to be better, more rewarding and useful but it depends on your personal circumstances.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

Thanks OP2002. The FFP is also an important element in my decision. I am also planning to fly at least once a month over the pond to Europe and Africa/Middle East for work. I am a BA Executive Club member and an AAdvantage member too, with some extra privileges on AA for having flown 1.5+ Million miles with them. Their FFPs are great, far better that those of Lufthansa's (of which I am also a Frequent Traveler member) or any other Star Alliance's airlines.

What is making me think about switching to fly on BA to Turkish is that seat with 46" pitch, you also know that extra space makes a whole world of difference, compared to the "limited" 38" pitch in World Traveler Plus; and the food in TK looks better than on BA. The other drawback flying Turkish is going through Ataturk Airport, nothing compared to Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

In a nutshell, that Comfort Class seat and the food offered in Premium Eco, is what has been calling my attention, besides flying on the B777-300ERs, which are my favorite planes besides the B747-400s.

I'll have to seriously consider me switching from BA to Turkish Airlines, mainly because I have a lot to lose based on the Frequent Flyer program - oneWorld's Frequent Flyer Programs are the best!

Thanks again for your comment.

6. Re: Turkish COMFORT Class OR British Airways World Traveler PLUS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 23, 2014