We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

What is the best airline for travelling with three under five, the youngest is 9 months and will need a bassinet. Any suggestions on what to avoid. Can't do Singapore airways, they fly out at 1am. Air New Zealand won't give me a bassinet for infant over 8 months.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

What is the best airline for travelling with three under five

---------

A different one to the one they are on :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Ps being serious, the bassinet may not fit a 9 month old that's likely why the rule. Why not a car seat instead?

Also, are you travelling with another adult? Because there are rules about how many children/ babies per person. 3 to one adult may be too many,you'll have to check with the airline.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Assuming you're not going to attempt this feat alone?!!!

NZ
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Both Emirates and Korean are good with kids but the same problem will occur with the basinette - the youngest one being too big. If you fly on one of the A380s near the front there is quite a large area by the airbridge entrance that on my last trip turned into a mini kindergarten with a lot of the smaller kids playing there. While it was close to the toilets the parents and passengers didn't seem to mind. Korean have a stopover for a night in Seoul on the way over which may give both you and the children some respite, then again you may prefer to go through direct and get it over with using Emirates.

Both airlines leave Auckland at reasonable times and arrive in the UK at reasonable times. Emirates also fly into a number of the smaller UK cities which may also give you more flexibility.

Southern China and Malaysian are offering great bargains at the moment but I haven't flown using them.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,806 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Good luck :-)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Air nz will allow you to use a bassinet if one is available, you just can't book it ahead of time. We are in the same situation for travel next month but have 3 under 3. When you check-in you can request bassinet

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

I would go with EK. They use an A380 on the EK 406/407 route since last October so i think this aircraft would be more comfortable and you route AUK - MEL - DXB - LHR. They also use A380 for the AUK - SYD - DXB - LHR flights as well.

EK aircraft will be newer and probably more comfy. - IMHO

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Pedant alert - AUK=Alakanuk, Alaska. Auckland = AKL

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Correct Numbat !! - Whoops !

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling nz to uk with 3 under 5, best airline?

Good luck. Sounds challenging for you. I don't have any personal experience or knowledge to add, but I hope your journey goes smoothly.