We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:02 pm, March 18, 2013
1. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:33 pm, March 16, 2013
Edited: 7:33 pm, March 16, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
478 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

Flown Iran Air, but on a domestic flight (reports here: http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Iran-Air-Fokker-100-Economy). The main issue with Iran Air is the lack of access to spare parts so one has to select carefully the aircraft. Also it is a dry airline. While this short haul flight was a positive experience, I'm not sure I'd fly long haul with them. And I would not recommend a Brit do fly via Tehran these days.

Although they are not flying directly to Shanghai, you could consider http://www.rj.com. Since they are part of One World, continuing with Cathay or Dragon Air will be easy. And you could even stop in Amman (check the Zuwar program on RJ website) and visit the fabulous Petra.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

Flying Iran Air? Surely you are joking?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

I have never flown on Iran air or Astana but you might get more info from the reviews on the airlinequality website.

www.airlinequality.com

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,839 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

I would love to see the stats on how many British couples honeymoon in Shanghai :).

Think you've been led up the garden path & told a load of c**p to be honest

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

Shanghai the Paris of the East!!!!

Save yourself a load of money and experience the real thing, it's just a forty five minute flight away.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

Closest I have got is Pakistan Internation Airlines domestic flight Islamabad to Lahore.I wondered beforehand what it would be like,but when I boarded I was on a brand new B737-500,delivered by Boeing 2 days earlier.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

the trip reports forum on airliners.net has a few detailed reports on tgese airlines, including lots of pics. personally, I would stick to a dependable "exotic" airline on my honeymoon. emirates, royal jordan, qatar etc very good and the stopover options are great. I do understand the lure of exotic airlines, but exotic can also mean a dated product or unreliable. of those, aeroflot would be the onky one I would consider, albeit reluctantly.

I've spent a lot of time in china and Shanghai is actually my least favourite city there. I dont know, it just didnt charm me. not really interested in a few old colonial buildings. I suggest you combine your Shanghai stay with another side of china, anything from the terracotta warriors of xian to beijing to... oh, that country is huge, so much to see. dont just limit yourself to Shanghai, theres nothing parisianabout it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

<<Flying Iran Air? Surely you are joking?>>

In 2009 we flew Iran Air- Dubai to Shiraz then Tehran to Damascus.

They were fine though we did leave Dubai about 2 hours late.

Why would you think it a joke BR?. Not everyone ALWAYS flies with the same US carrier or ALWAYS flies to the same "safe" destinations as you appear to do. Some of us are a little more adventuous.

And iran was probably the most interesting country we have ever visited. Amazing antiquities and architecture, fantastically friendly people.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone tried exotic airlines such as Iran Air, Air Astana?

I 've travelled on Air Astana lots of times from Amsterdam to Atyrau in Kazakhstan. Service is reasonable and planes okay. Food awful. If you are 'collecting' airlines, it's okay but I wouldn't travel with them if there are other choices.