We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Hi, which airlines that fly from Melbourne to Los Angeles allow a stopover in Hawaii??

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Have a look at matrix.itasoftware.com/ and find out which airlines fly from Melbourne to LAX via Honolulu. Your options are more limited than you think.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

i think it's only hawaiian.

and u would have to come to sydney first.

or u could do a jetstar MEL-HNL / whatever airlines fly HNL-LAX combo ie. two separate tickets

Edited: 1:16 am, March 16, 2013
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Matrix shows QF flights MEL-HNL (operated by Jetstar) + HNL-LAX (operated by American),so in theory a 1 ticket option should be possible. But the QF website doesn't offer me the JQ sector. OP might need to talk to a travel agent or QF or travel via other ports.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

All airlines that fly this route will allow a stopover, it just depends how much you are willing to pay, that's all.

Australia
Level Contributor
540 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

I think you might find it cost prohibitive. As a previous person stated, and something I have experience with, it is better to do a MEL-HNL return and a relatively cheap HNL-LAX return. Best of both worlds.

Cheers

Dave

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Agree with the 2 seperate ticket thing. I've done it a few times and it worked out really well. Just make sure you pad out enough time in case you miss connection due flight delays etc. 24 hours should do it. It's a nice flight home to Aus as it's a day flight and jetlag is minimal.

Melbourne to Honolulu I'd go Jetstar as I prefer direct flights. Hawaiian and Qantas depart from Brisbane and Sydney so you'd need a domestic flight.

Honolulu to LAX you have the option of Alaska, Hawaiian, Delta, American, United and US Airways

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Thanks for your replies............ we will be travelling with kids so just trying to break up the flight to make it easier on us all!!

Just thought it might be good to stopover in Hawaii for maybe 2 nights on the way over and then again on the way back, but it might end up being too expensive and takes days off our planned time spent in LA....

Any other suggestions for a stopover to help break the flying time???

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Yeah I would buy 2 sets of tickets. Mel -HNL with Jetstar, HNL - LAX with Delta. We are doing something similar in July - and i found this to be our cheapest option.

We have in the past flown with JAL and taken a stopover in Tokyo on the way there and in HNL on the way back - but not sure if this will still work.

Australia
Level Contributor
540 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Sorry Bec but from MEL there's not much choice. You could do MEL-AKL-LAX with AirNZ but that's only 3 hours into the flight.

My advice would be that once you're on board with the kids just wait till you get to LAX. Just take plenty to amuse the kids or sleeping tablets lol.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover in Hawaii - Melb to LA-which airline??

Stopping in AKL just makes it worse not better in flying and traveling time , you can fly direct MEL to LAX and be there in 14 hours or you can prolong the agony and stop making it a 20+ hour trip , flying from AKL to LAX is a 11 hour flight alone , the easiest way to travel with kids is direct , breaking it up just makes tried cranky kids.

Edited: 11:53 pm, March 16, 2013