We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

Hi All ,

I have schengen visa given by Austrian embassy for visit to Vienna. Enroute to Vienna , there is a 7 hours break at Brussels airport.

Am i allowed to go out into the Brussels city rather than spend time at the airport using the schengen visa issued to me.

Thanks,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

I don't know for sure, but I would assume so yes, as usually the visa is applied for in the country where the dominant stay is. But you can then visit other countries within schengen,

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

Note that you will cross the border of the Schengen zone in Brussels, not in Vienna. The BRU to VIE flight is like a domestic flight for your purposes. One of the first things when you arrive in BRU will be to clear the border control to get into the Schengen part of the airport. After that, there will be no one to stop you if you wish to leave the airport.

milan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

i'm italian i have a ticket to milan how i can enter brussels city during my transit period

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

Where are you arriving from?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

Hi ,

Sorry for not updating the forum.

I arrived from Manchester. Since i was coming from Non-schengen area and entering schengen , my schengen visa was stamped by Belgium officers. I then asked another Passport control officer if i could go out and come back in time for my flight to Vienna. He replied in positive.

So , a person having schengen visa transiting in schengen area is free to travel to the city of transit .

Thanks.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

This post can now be closed.

7. Re: About going out of Brussels airport during transit wait for

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014