We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Singapore

Norwich, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Stopover in Singapore

I am flying to NZ in Jan 2014 and the best deal I can get for a flight has a 7 hour stopover in Singapore. I am assuming I have to stay in the terminal, so can anyone tell me if there will be enough things to do in the airport for that amount of time. I could pay about £200 more for the fares (4 adults travelling together, including a 19 and 22 year old) and have a 4 hour stop, is it worth it for my sanity!!! I would be grateful for any help and advice. The same applies for the return trip in Feb.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Singapore

Worth is a subjective thing so nobody can answer that but Singapore is probably the one airport in the world where I would want to be stuck (assuming I was flying economy and no lounge access). There is a free cinema, plenty of shops etc. Check the Singapore Changi website for full details.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Singapore

u dont have to be stuck in the terminal.

immigration is easy and it's not far from the airport into the city.

take a taxi (or train) and explore a bit or just have a meal somewhere (all depending on the time of the layover of course).

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Singapore

Changi used to have a free city tour if you had around a 4 hour transfer. They may still do it.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Singapore

I think they still offer free city tours but I believe that the last tour starts at 5 pm, so it really depends on your layover time, but that might be a nice addition to your trip.

But if you don't want to leave the airport, there is practically nothing that you CANNOT do at this airport. There is so much things, a cinema, a swimming pool, massage chairs, outdoor gardens and so on, and most things are free of charge.

canterbury
Level Contributor
771 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Singapore

don't forget free showers as well, can't wait.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in Singapore

<<don't forget free showers>>

Where are these 'free' showers? I know you can pay for a shower, but there are now 2 posts saying that there are free ones as well. I have never found them.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover in Singapore

"I have never found them"

me either

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover in Singapore

whilst Changi is a great airport - i'd pay the extra 200 and continue my journey. (maybe I've flown too much lately and am bored of the airport) 7 hours at the airport, no matter how good is still a long time. that said - town is close so you could leave the airport and get some sun!

Edited: 11:30 pm, March 14, 2013
bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover in Singapore

We were one of the people stuck on the other side of the world when the ash cloud disrupted air travel. We landed up with a 12 hour wait for a connection in Singapore airport. It was manageble. My teenagers spent most of the time using the free computers playing games and using "social media". There are quiet areas with leather loungers if you want to have a light nap, plenty of shopping and the other facilitiles as noted by others.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover in Singapore

As said there is plenty to do plus places to relax, cinema, swimming pool etc, there are hotel roms within the transit area, but I suppose you have to balance that with the extra for just 4 hours, that is something in the end I guess only you can decide. The hotel rooms are not relatively cheap, so if in the end you got real tired and decied to take a room, have a foot massge etc, plus eats and probably end up buying some things, well that could eat-into that P 200 saving.

So in summary, 4 hours is easy without spending much, but 9 hours you could end up deciding to take 1 room to sleep, or eating for the sake of it, get bored and start shopping etc, so that P 200 saving could be halved.