We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Manchester
Level Contributor
399 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Good day all,

I am looking at an Aer Lingus flight from Manchester UK to Dublin then onto New York. The flights both arrive and depart from the same terminal, 2. I am very interested using Dublin airport due to the USA pre-clearance facilities. There is a transfer time of 1hr 45 minutes and was wondering if anyone knew if this is enough? I understand Dublin is a smallish airport but according to there transfer guide I need to pass through passport control again before the usa pre-clearance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

While Dublin Airport is relatively small, I don't think 1hr 45mins is enough of a connection time. From my experience, US bound flights begin boarding 45 mins before take-off and Pre-Clearance can take 30 mins. Also factor in how many US flights are departing at that time.

What if your flight from Manchester is delayed? Can you perhaps take an earlier flight from Manchester?

Manchester
Level Contributor
399 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Thanks for the info, sadly there is no earlier flight.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

cant you fly the night before,we have to travel down as well as the flight is early

agree with the last post you will not have enough time

was interested in air lingus and USA preclearance last time we flew to Dc we had to do it there end

Manchester
Level Contributor
399 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Thanks again. The cost of an overnight stay is just to much, looks like is BA via Heathrow and the fun of JFK immigration.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

what about the later flight to JFK?

Manchester
Level Contributor
399 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

According to the Aer Lingus website the later flight does not pre-clear.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Last summer we did Bristol to Dublin to JFK with Aer Lingus- I think there was only about an hour between connections and it worked out really well. As you exit the plane those passenger connectiing to the US get on a specific coach. It drops you at the US Immigration hall. Takes about 5 minutes to fill out the form ( one per family) We waited about 5 minutes to see one of the staff. Had to identify our bags via a video link and were asked why we travelling - again all done in just a few minutes. Walked through this area and the boarding gate for our connection was right there. Honestly it was so simple and smooth. We did this route as it meant we could fly from our local airport and clearing customs and US Immigrations in Dublin made it very simple once we landed in the US. Good price too.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

While 1:45 is not huge, I think it is enough, as long as you are on one single ticket. Should you, for whatever reason, not make it, Aer Lingus will move you to the next available flight, and pay for accommodation if necessary.

Regarding pre-clearance, the video on dublinairport.com/gns/…US-Preclearance.aspx is well done. And, yes, for whatever reason, some flights are not pre-clearing...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Aer lingus didnt pre clear us, at Washington it was a nightmare waiting in line think over an hour

some people had ten in a group , awful after a long flight

just wanted fresh air

Manchester
Level Contributor
399 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin Airport Terminal 2 Transfer From UK To USA

Thanks for all your advice.