We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BAEC Household Account

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
BAEC Household Account

Thinking of combining our individual Avios accounts into a single household account.

Does anybody know if we will then be able to redeem Avios for a third person, not a member of our household?

The following clause suggests not but would appreciate anybody's insight before I call BA:

Awards can only be issued by British Airways to members of the Household Account (and will not be issued to persons that are not members of such an account), as designated/nominated by a Household Account member at the time of issuance, after which Awards may not be transferred or reissued to a different name.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BAEC Household Account

You can't. If you have a household account you can only redeem flights for people in the household.

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BAEC Household Account

That was what I thought, thanks Lex.

We'll keep seperate accounts then.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BAEC Household Account

I collect Avios and have a household account and have booked for four others not in the household account

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BAEC Household Account

An Avios account is different from a BA Executive Club account though.

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BAEC Household Account

That is a thought though - maybe we could transfer our points to a joint Avios account??

Any thoughts on this idea?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BAEC Household Account

It all depends what you are trying to accomplish and how many points you have.

I also dont know how difficult it is to book flights via the Avios program i get the impression its more difficult than with BAEXEC but its just an impression I've never tried it.

Certainly the fact you can transfer flights back and forth without loss between the two schemes gives you some flexibility.

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BAEC Household Account

Just really want to make bookings easier, my OH and I currently tend to book individual tickets with our individual BAEC account points - therefore two transactions.

Just thought a single account would make it easier. Also, I'm Gold but he is just silver so sometimes I can access better availability so I often end up making more bookings so my points deminish while he has a stack but short notice they are harder to use.

Might look into the Avios account but the availability issue is likely to continue, is it possible for OH to transfer his BAEC Avios to the Avios account and then me to transfer them to my account?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BAEC Household Account

No idea about the transfer, it's an interesting loophole if you can transfer them that way. I think I'd ask on Flyertalk.

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BAEC Household Account

Yes...could be a very interesting loop hole.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BAEC Household Account

You can have up to 6 people in your household account.You can use your avios for any of these 6.They must live at your address,but BA does not define live.

There are pros and cons.It makes collecting the avios somewhat simpler as they are agregated,and as well as a personal total you get a household total.Whoever you decide is head of household,decides who gets what tickets(so that is me then)maybe.

You can only use your 2-4-1 for members of your household account,as with a Guf2,but with thw Guf2 you can nominate any 2 household members to use it.

It makes life very easy with a GGL joker,where you can have up to 5 on the same PNR.In our case,4 F tickets to JNB on the same flight paid for with avios and Guf2s.

Not sure why BA thought it would be good to have 6 members in a household account but only allow 5 on a GGL joker.I person must stay home.

If the head of household is the person with most status,that status transfers over to the other members for seat selection and baggage charges.Looks like BA are going to allow Golds and Silvers to check 1 bag for free on a handbaggage only fare.

Household account is great if you have kids and grandparents at home(like me),less so if only the 2 of you.That said,you can always give it a try,and if you dont like it disolve your household account and return to the previous status quo.