We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air travel with mobility scooter

Glasgow, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
air travel with mobility scooter

I have arranged for mobility scooter to be transported on plane - no problem. I have a Gogo Elite Traveller Plus. Have been told I need a rigid box for the battery to be transported.. Has anyone any ideas what they mean/advice what I can buy?

119 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

Which airline ? - the rules on transportation of a scooter battery will probably vary from airline to airline.

Glasgow, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

Jet2. Thanks for replying

3. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, May 01, 2013

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

I would check again with Jet 2 - the scooter is fitted with non spillable AGM or Gel-Cell batteries and the following is from the Jet 2 website.

Mobility aids with NON SPILLABLE batteries:

To ensure the safe carriage of your wheelchair/mobility aid the following must be completed by our airport representatives before the wheelchair is loaded on to the aircraft, therefore please provide guidance on the following:

•The battery terminals must be protected from short circuits

- The battery terminals of current models of electric mobility aids tend to be protected from short circuit through the battery being fully encased and an integral part of the device. Batteries do not necessarily need to be disconnected because if this is not done correctly it could increase the risk of fire. On other models where the terminals are exposed it may be necessary to insulate battery terminals, e.g. with electrical insulating tape.

•Electrical circuits must be inhibited to prevent inadvertent operation - The means of inhibiting circuits to prevent the accidental activation of electric mobility aids vary. Some have a key which can be switched to the off position and removed. An aid which is only switched on and off with a push-button could be reactivated in flight by the inadvertent movement of baggage or cargo therefore, further steps are required to inhibit the circuits of such devices, for example disconnecting electric cable plugs or connectors, or inserting an inhibiting plug (such as an Airsafe plug) into the charging socket of the devices.

•Installed batteries must be securely attached to the chair.

•Where the mobility aid is specifically designed to allow its non spillable battery(ies) to be removed by the user (e.g. a collapsible device), the battery must be removed, the terminal protected from short circuit and carried in strong rigid and weatherproof packaging in the aircraft hold. Jet2.com will not provide the packaging, this must be provided by you.

The fact that it says installed batteries must be securely attached on the one hand and they must be removed is contradictory in my opinion and needs to be clarified.

If they insist on removal a strong rigid plastic box with bubble wrap protecting the battery should suffice.

jet2.com/new/…medical-and-special-assistance

Glasgow, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

Thank you for all the trouble you have taken. Will contact Jet2. Thanks again.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

We have travelled numerous times with BA to Tampa Florida from Gatwick with my mother and her Pride mobility scooter. The battery is a dry cell type and the scooter is put into the hold in one piece. When we arrive at Tampa it is waiting at the luggage carousel for us to collect. Never had any problems on either leg of the journey.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

We have also taken our mobility scooters on planes many times, and there has never been any problem with our batteries. Last year in Florence the ground crew insisted that both scooters be placed in boxes. We had made advanced arrangements with Air France. They were ready for us with huge boxes, and the scooters were checked through with checked luggage to our first US destination. The boxes did not work well. They had come completely apart when we reached Atanlta, but the scooters were both fine. The boxes were not required because of the batteries, and no one said anything about the batteries. I did carry a spec sheet with me so they could read it.

Some scooters have batteries that require special care by the airlines. I just made sure that we had approved batteries before we purchased our scooters because we fly frequently and often take them along. Never had a battery issue.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

Hi,

There aren't all that many new scooters today that come with wet cell batteries stock, it's mostly dry cell today.. and that's far, far easier to transport as the safety factor is much higher.

My only suggestion is, as someone who has moved many scooters in my earlier career years, is to remove anything from the scooter that's not a permanent part of it or tends to 'fall off' easier.. a good example is any personal-removable custom seat cushions

Most scooters are stored in the aircraft's manual cargo pit-- on the larger aircraft, that's in the very rear right-hand side of most aircraft. The door to the manual pit, isn't very large and in most cases a scooter can't fit in upright "as is" and may have to tilted or laid on its side to clear the doorway.. and in this process, at times, things can fall out/off it...

After unloading, I've found plenty of wayward items that have apparently fallen off a scooter like cushions, spare keys, etc, etc..

Travel Safe,

Durham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

Hi just wondered if you found a box for your battery? we are having the same trouble?

Durham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: air travel with mobility scooter

Hi

Well we travelled jet2 in april and everything was fine, our batteries are already in casing so all we had to do was disconnect it and take the key out.all they needed to know was the dimensions etc and weight. so if yours are already in a casing im sure they will be fine. hope this helps

Julie

Reply to: air travel with mobility scooter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted