We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways charging for checked baggage

Devon
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways charging for checked baggage

Looks like the enevitable has happened; BA now have two economy seat prices, a with or a without checked baggage.

The flights I looked at were £15 extra to check in baggage but the return flight only had with baggage price. (Gatwick to Malaga)

Didn't know this was on the cards but I'm not surprised.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

The new hand baggage only fares are genuine discounts off the current fares, new fare bases have been created to accommodate them and the fare bases of the existing fares remain unchanged at their cost.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

It is irritating that FAQs don't answer the most relevant questions, like What happens when this pricing causes the overhead lockers to fill up?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

>> But I don't expect this to stop the "they are now charging for bags" posts to come <<

If people book directly on ba.com there shouldn't be an excuse, as it is very clearly explained. Although if you buy a hand luggage only ticket and then want to add a checked bag later, the fee (most likely) takes the overall cost higher than the regular fare. The fee to add a checked bag is £20 ($30) in advance, or £40 ($60) at the airport. If in doubt, I'd buy a regular ticket.

My guess is that the confusion/complaints will come from those who buy from 3rd party bookers. And imagine eDreams (as it does) selling two one-way tickets masquerading as a round trip, with the outbound being a regular fare but the inbound being hand luggage only, and someone being stung for £40/60 when checking in en route home.

Edited: 1:18 pm, March 07, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

My guess is that the confusion/complaints will come from those who buy from 3rd party bookers.

_______

It's possible BA could be the only ones to sell the HBO fares.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

^^^^^ Some of those bookers practice screen scraping, though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

It is irritating that FAQs don't answer the most relevant questions, like What happens when this pricing causes the overhead lockers to fill up?

For a few months now BA have been tagging compliant hand baggage for those who check-in at a desk at Gatwick. At the gate if your bag isn't tagged it goes in the hold, or that's what the person at check-in told me the first time it happened and I asked. I've flown through LGW quite a few times since then despite the green tags I haven't seen any changes.

It'll be hard to police though with people who use mobile boarding passes and don't go to a desk. At the lounge there hasn't been anyone checking bags or at the gate either.

I think as long as everyone doesn't have a full size roller bag and a laptop bag/purse etc. then there should be enough room in the overhead lockers and under the seats in front.

17. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:45 pm, March 07, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
229 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Sounds like our politicians. They don't charge for checked luggage, but, IF, you don't have any checked luggage you can fly cheaper. ?!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Yes, it's a discount for those flying without checked luggage rather than a fee for those that fly with. Of course, eventually it will all come to the same thing, what matters is the total price and not what happens to be labelled a "fee" or a "discount". Nothing is truly free anyway.

Edited: 3:02 pm, April 24, 2013
Swansea, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Well I am not complaining- just got tickets without checked baggage with BA for the same price as the price I paid with Monarch on a 30 year old rust bucket wet lease last year and only £8 more expensive than Ryan Air who want £110 per bag and only give you 10kg of hand luggage whereas BA have 23kg plus laptop/satchel. I may book a suitcase for £20 but don't need to for all 5 of us.