We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

I'm traveling from Columbus to Florida and meeting up with my dad who lives down there. My mom wants to bring him his favorite vodka but not sure if I can check it since I'm not 21. Has anybody done this before? Do not want it to be confiscated!! Thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
43,223 posts
42 reviews
44 helpful votes
31. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Laws vary, as said from state to state. A number of years ago my then, under age nephew went with me to a liquor store. I need to buy a large quantity for the holiday and having just had surgery couldn't lift it. I purchased, he was standing next to me and I looked at him and asked why he wasn't picking up the bags. His reply, in his home city of Boston a minor can not carry liquor out of a liquor store. His mom carries it out and then hands it to him!!! ( to carry, not to drink)

Chicago
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
32. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Well yes they can arrest you for having unopened liquor in your car or luggage if you are a minor. Penalties vary by state law. Zero tolerance laws can also carry collateral consequences like loss of driving privileges.

Mom has a bad idea here and should find something else to send as a gift.

Illinois
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
33. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

I'm guessing there may be a difference in a minor travelling alone carrying alcohol and a minor travelling with his/her parent carrying alcohol as then the alcohol could be said to be in the possession of the parent. I'm not sure anything would happen, but I wouldn't want my daughter taking the risk for what seems to be minimal benefit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
34. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

What's the likely hood of the op being arrested here for having a bottle of vodka in her /his suitcase?

I'm British, so I actually don't know, but I am very surprised at the answers from Americans, no one is saying " technically " they could, but it's never going to happen. Is there a serious chance, that the op would be arrested at the airport for having a bottle of vodka? Seriously. I thought us Brits were tough, but really? Your cops are arresting late teenage kids at airports for holding an unopened bottle of booze?

I'm not encouring the op to break the law, and I do think actually it's a bad idea, simply because a parent should encourage a child to abide by the law, not break it, because it's inconvenient or they dont agree with it, and in this, both parents would be complicit, but just want to put it in perspective. I would have thought worse case they would confiscate it,,,but that appears not to be the case? They are going to arrest, charge, penalise and give a criminal record for this? That's being put out there as a serious possibility.???

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
90 posts
886 reviews
686 helpful votes
35. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Can of worms -

From the TSA website:

Alcoholic Beverages

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

If you are bringing some high powered stuff it may be confiscated. Some airlines have their own alcohol restrictions so it’s wise to check beforehand just to be safe. In addition, some States in the US restrict the transport of wine and alcohol so be sure to know the rules of your state before you fly.

Florida

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume or posses alcohol. But interestingly you can taste (can't consume) an alcoholic beverage if it is required of a class in a postsecondary educational institution (college) but only if you're at least 18 years of age. It's illegal to drive a motor vehicle with a BAC of .02 or higher if under the age of 21. For anyone 21 years of age or older may not drive if they have a BAC of .08 or higher.

Ohio

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to possess or consume any alcohol in any public or private place, unless the underage person is accompanied by a parent, spouse who is not an underage person, or legal guardian.

If for some stupid reason in OH you are stopped by the airline they will most likely just ask you to remove it. Many airlines do not like or allow unpacked bottles.

Contact your airline for the specifics.

Illinois
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
36. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

I don't know for sure what they would do. I don't think they'd be arrested as in thrown in jail, but would more likely get a notice to appear. However, they could (if caught) end up with a conviction for minor in possession on their record. However unlikely, I wouldn't want my daughter to do it (even if I wanted to condone her breaking the law) since I can't see that the benefit is worth the risk. I can't see how having alcohol in your luggage can be construed as anything but possession of it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
35,764 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
37. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

You could just say "No Mom, I can't do it. Ask one of his friends to buy it in FL, and I'll take the cash down there to pay the friend."

Philadelphia...
1 post
38. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

okay so instead of reading all these replys i have the same question. so did anything end up happening to it/you?

39. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 11, 2015