We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

I'm traveling from Columbus to Florida and meeting up with my dad who lives down there. My mom wants to bring him his favorite vodka but not sure if I can check it since I'm not 21. Has anybody done this before? Do not want it to be confiscated!! Thanks

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
10 reviews
53 helpful votes
21. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

"It's not the same giving someone the cash and telling them to go. Buy a bottle of vodka for themselves."

It's also illegal for a minor to be in possesion of alcoholic beverages. Why else ask. Besides that, there are numerous other options. Don't forget it is to FL and it's also spring break. Just saying.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
22. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Sure, I am not arguing that, although I thought people were saying it was state dependant. I am not answering on the legalities, as I don't know, as is already stated.

I am just answering your specific question. You asked why daddydid not buy his own vodka, when the op clearly stated it was a gift from her mother. I answered correctly that handing someone a few bucks and asking them to buy their own bottle is not the same really as giving them a gift.

Although I do think asking your child to give your husband a bottle of vodka, when the child is not of age, and has to transport it, appears not to be a very intelligent scenario. Surely daddy must Like things other than vodka and there is other gifts that could be given. But then we all have parents, and I could not say it any better than Larkin did:))

http://www.artofeurope.com/larkin/lar2.htm

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
23. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

It could be a ruse by the OP to get information on transporting booze to spring break for his/her personal consumption. I'm pretty sure there are easier ways to get booze on spring break than consulting the TA Air Travel forum though. ;)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
177 helpful votes
24. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

too much overthinking going on here.

'just put the bottle wrapped up in something absorbant in your checked in luggage. no one will know or care.

liquor laws in the usa are pretty silly.

u can vote, sign a contract, get married, drive a car, buy a weapon and even get killed in a war at 18 but u cant get a drink until u r 21? duh!

and i get carded in many states when trying to get into a club or even buying liquor in a supermarket. so what u ask. well, i am 66.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
25. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

If its a ruse, that's one diligent kid and they deserve to get it through, just for doing their homework.,lol

I have to say, if my daughter was going to smuggle Booze, I would like to think she would seek advice from responsible adults on a travel forum as to the likely hood of success:))

And I have to say, the same thought occurred to me, that it may be a ruse, but I think I find it preferable, the idea of someone taking a bottle of vodka on spring break, than mummy sending underage child with a bottle of vodka for daddy on the plane. I guess it's all about who you prefer to be the least responsible.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
45 helpful votes
26. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Haha this is funny. No if I was "taking it for spring break" I don't think I would have 1 bottle. It's truly for my dad. He had to move there for business. And like someone said, "it is different if I just give him money to buy it himself". I guess it is more hassle than its worth!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
27. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Well worst case they will confiscate it. Odds are you will be fine. No one shout at me for the legality issue there. So just a judgement call really.

Illinois
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
28. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

It's up to you of course, but AFAIK, it's illegal for you to be in possession of alcohol in either state. I wouldn't risk having a conviction for minor in possession (assuming there's no worse charge with moving it from state to state) just to give your dad something he can buy where he lives. I can't imagine a parent asking their child to do something like that in the first place. I certainly wouldn't let my daughter do it.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
48 helpful votes
29. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

I carry bottles of booze in my hold luggage all the time not once have i had a broken bottle,wrap it in a towel!!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
30. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

US isnt a nanny state yet. You cannot buy the booze, cannot drink booze. But can't see how a police can arrest you for having unopened bottle in car or in luggage and you are not intoxicated. It's not marijuana or coke. I travel with teeny son, and he may carry for me his alotted customs share. Don't see problem with that.

You can bring booze acroxx the state borders, restrictions only apply to using commercial shipments to certain states, which I find totally ridiculous.