We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

I'm traveling from Columbus to Florida and meeting up with my dad who lives down there. My mom wants to bring him his favorite vodka but not sure if I can check it since I'm not 21. Has anybody done this before? Do not want it to be confiscated!! Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Never done it, but I don't see a problem. If it is in your check bag, it gets x-rayed, but not in your presence and security won't know your age when they look at the bag. They're not looking for minors in possession of alcohol so I don't see why they'd care there's a bottle of alcohol in the bag.

Make sure not to carry it on as it would get confiscated for being over the volume of liquid allowed in a carry on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Could it not be an issue in Florida? I actually don't know the answer, but would it not have to be declared on the way in? Normally I have to declare all food and drink, but I am not domestic.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,780 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

You don't have to declare alcohol packed in your hold luggage so you if arriving on an international flight? Do you not only declare if you are in excess of limit or has that changed?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

On a domestic flight, there is no declaration to be done. So I don't see a problem. Pack it well though!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

The airlines and TSA have no interest so that should not be a problem. Local police may have more of an issue if found but no one's going to be looking for that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

This is an interesting question...

I'm not all that familar with US laws. Can someone tell me if you can work behind a bar or in a restaurant serving alcohol if you are under 21 in the USA?

If you are underage and caught with, rather than consuming alcohol, is the same penalty?

21 is way too old for a legal drinking age in my opinion, but then that's a whole other argument.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

>> Can someone tell me if you can work behind a bar or in a restaurant serving alcohol if you are under 21 in the USA? <<

At the risk of this going off topic, in Oregon No. In order to serve alcohol you must have a permit/license from the state liquor licensing authority (you must be 21+ and pass a test).

I don't know what the rules are regarding an under 21 carrying an unopened container. That's possibly the issue here. And it may vary from state to state.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

So in this instance regarding the OP's travel plan we'd be talking about Ohio and Florida. Does anyone know the laws for these states relating to minor's carrying unopened alcohol?

I would say that the answer would be found here. As other's have mentioned, it isn't really in the TSA's jurisdiction, especially when it's carried in checked luggage.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
322 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

In Ohio you need to be 19 to be a server that carries an alcoholic beverage to a table. However, that is a situation where it's clear that the minor does not intend to consume the beverage.

Regardless, the TSA doesn't know your age and doesn't care. As you are staying inside the USA, there is nothing to worry about as for declarations. My biggest worry would be a broken bottle of vodka and ruined clothes covered in alcohol and broken glass.

If it were me, I would pay $15 to have it shipped instead of hand carrying it. Even if this gift is not actually a gift and the minor intends to consume it, ship it to the hotel- they will accept the package on your behalf.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I check my bag with alcohol in it if I'm not 21?

Is his favorite vodka not available in Florida?