We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

Am flying next month from Dublin to Orange County next month with AA via Chicago(ORD-SNA on domestic AA flight different terminal)

The good news is that passport control,ESTA and customs clearance are dealt with at Dublin prior to flying so when we arrive at ORD we are treated as domestic arrivals-luggage is checked through to SNA

AA had allowed 85 mins for transfer at ORD prior to Sequester my long winded question is this now in your considered opinion to be enough time for domestic security???

Ps arriving approx. midday mid week ORD

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

Nobody knows. Government workers are required to be given 30 days notice before furloughs can be implemented so nobody is immediately losing working hours this week or this month. There is tons of fear mongering going on from Washington and in the press. It is also possible agencies will intentionally slow down to prove a point. Or absolutely nothing may happen. Or they may realize that there have been inefficiencies in the system and things will run better than ever.

OK that last one will never happen, but everyone is basically at the mercy of partisan politics. You can't control it, so don't worry about it.

Edited: 2:37 pm, March 04, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,614 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

If you are pre-cleared in Dublin, and arriving as a US domestic passenger on AA, then I'm struggling with understanding the statement "enough time for domestic security"? If you are dumped into the AA terminal gates at ORD, there will be no additiional US security.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

tev9999

Thanks your take on thing- when is any politician for the people? I guess there will be no definitive indicator on how things are working til after the predictable mayhem of the easter holidays

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

bk_t1

Don't you now have security checks on internal flights any more or have things changed since last August?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

Are you by chance flying Aer Lingus into ORD and then AA to SNA? I don't see an AA operated DUB-ORD flight, at least not today or tomorrow.

If you are on Aer Lingus, it appears they arrive in Terminal 5 while AA departs from Terminal 3, so you would have to go back land-side and take the train to T3, then reclear security. You would not have to clear immigration/customs, but since ORD is designed with disconnected terminals you have to exit the secure zone.

Edited: 3:00 pm, March 04, 2013
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

tev9999

No it's a new service which AA are starting in April normally holiday/travel to Ca and was attracted to these flights because airline/very low price and good flight/connection times but the last one might rear up and bite me in the butt!!! only positive is that AA have later flight from ORD to SNA

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

If you are on AA metal and did the pre-clearance in DUB, it should then arrive at T3 and be treated as a domestic connection without the need for TSA security.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,614 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

You can probably look up the arrival terminal after the flight begins in April, just to check terminals.

aa.com/i18n/…terminal_ORD.jsp

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

tev9999

Yep it's definitely AA metal(will not have anything whatsoever to do with a codeshare where BA is the operator) that's great news thanks for looking into it for me-really appreciated!!!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sequester impact on airport transfer times???

tev9999

According to media reports this side of the pond the delays have already started-so much for giving the poor workers 30 days notice!!!

By stopping OT all the booths are not fully manned leading to delays at Miami and JFK of up to 3 hours,ORD and LAX has had problems as well but not to the same extent-whilst the main sufferers seem to be International flights but I'm pretty certain that it has a knock on effect on all travellers