We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

book now or wait till later the eternal question

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic

well here is our experience. we had decided at the end of last year to holiday in thailand during the christmas 2013/2014 period and for the very first time pay for hotel and flight separately. we then started reading the air travel forum on ta and very soon realised that things are not as straight forward as they are with a package. opinions seemed divided, some advised wait till later in the year in the hope of picking up a bargain, some said book as soon as because if there isn’t a sale later in the year you end up paying more.

looking at the myriad of options and checking comparison websites we weren’t at all sure how we would take to 25 hours and longer travel times with jetlag and all. some of the cheaper possibilities we considered had 15 hours or more stopover. the less costly the ticket the more inconvenient the flight times it seemed.

anyway to cut a long story short being cautious we ended up buying the ticket with singapore airlines from heathrow to phuket for £1136, thinking that this might be a little on the high side but as the flight was one of the shortest and singapore airlines have a good reputation we took the plunge.

we weren’t at all sure if we had done the right thing. imagine my surprise when i checked that these same flights were now £1483.35 (a 30% rise) and the majority of the best seats allocated.

i don’t know if flights with other airlines get booked up as quickly but this was certainly an eye opener.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: book now or wait till later the eternal question

i don’t know if flights with other airlines get booked up as quickly but this was certainly an eye opener.

=======

In general no, but Christmas is a special case, so it seems you did very well to get in when you did.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,172 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: book now or wait till later the eternal question

Glad your early booking worked but it can always be a gamble whether to book early or late - the advice is generally once you're booked is don't look again unless you can deal with the disappointment of seeing a lower fare.

However with some airlines it's possible to pay change fees to get at least the partial benefit of the lower fare so keeping an eye on the fares might not be a bad idea.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: book now or wait till later the eternal question

that is useful information TomC97, thanks for the tip.

i will check the flights ever so often during the year. especially if we decide to do the same the year after.

regards

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: book now or wait till later the eternal question

For future reference, you could also book LHR/SIN on SQ, maybe overnight in SIN, then fly an LCC like Air Asia or Jetstar. I reckon you could pay less especially if you book ahead. Alternatively, you could fly to Bangkok or Kuala .lumpur on a full service airline, then LCC to your final destination.

Booking flights and hotels rather than doing a tour isn't that intimidating especially if you do your research .....

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
13,080 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: book now or wait till later the eternal question

Since a bit more then 7 years now I only book my intercontinental flights maximum one week in advance and I always find good offers. Ofcourse most of the times with different carriers. I have to admit that for me it doesn't matter if I fly on a particular date or the week after. I have that advantage. I usually fly minimum 4/6 times a year to Asia, mostly Thailand and never in the peak season. I never paid more them Euro 550 return ticket from Italy to BKK.

6. Re: book now or wait till later the eternal question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 06, 2014