We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow + British Airways

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow + British Airways

Hi I have a couple of questions regarding British Airways and Heathrow. I will be flying from Heathrow for the first time on 30th March to Prague with BA. I will be flying from terminal 3. My coach gets to Heathrow for 2.30am and my flight leaves at 7.15am so I am just going to sit in the terminal and probably just look at maps and things for my destination, what I was wondering is what time does check in/bag drop desks for flights around my time normally open? Is there anywhere within Terminal 3 departures you can get a cheapish cooked breakfast?

Also I was wondering how do you know what gate you will be leaving from as whenever I have been in airports the gate number has never been on the screen until the gate opens, and I tend to get there very fast but there is always loads of people already in the line, looking like they have been there a while? I will be travelling alone so any general tips about BA or Heathrow T3 would be much appreciated.

Also my coach drops me at the central bus station will T3 be a easy walking distance from there with two suitcases? And also is Heathrow deserted at that time of the morning or do you generally get other people there aswell? I don't want to be alone!

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

It will probably open two hours before departure, so at 5.15 am.

Re gate, ask for the gate number when you check in/ bag drop off, this is what I do and I am always at the gate in advance. Normally at heathrow the gate number comes up about 40 mins before hand on the screens.

Sorry, can't help with the rest, but have a great trip.

Ps heathrow is never deserted:))

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

Thank you, I really appreciate your help, and yeah the whole gate thing annoys me so I will definately ask! Eventhough you can reserve free seats with BA, I hate waiting in line for ages and then people shoving past you on the plane and getting all hot and annoyed trying to find a overhead locker space, and if it opens a 5.15am I won't have long to wait in T3 before I can go through security so it should go pretty fast:)

And I didn't think it would ever be deserted I just didn't fancy spending 2 hours or so on my own or next to some weirdos or something haha. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

You should be able to find a quiet area so don't worry. Just make sure to set an alarm on your phone or something, just in case you fall asleep, both times, before check in and after. People have been known to fall asleep at the gate and miss their flight.

Maybe take some snacks and juice in your luggage that you can snack on whilst waiting, and have a good book or something, passing time in the middle of the night is never fun, although it won't be deserted, it won't be busy either.

But yep, the check in agent can normally see the gate, just watch the screen though in case it changes.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

Ok thank you, I feel a lot more confident now :) And yeah I'm planning to take some snacks, a book, all my travel plans itinerary, maps ect and my headphones to keep me occupied. I will take the advice about setting an alarm it seems wise :) When I travel I never sleep the night before anyway I always find I have more energy than I do from just having a couple of hours sleep and if I do sleep I find it more of a rush before leaving for the airport so the no sleeping thing I will be used to and I plan to get up as late as possible on the day I travel to London (coach leaves at 11.25pm, so will have practically all day to do any last minute things) :)

Again thank you! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

You're welcome, have fun and stay safe:))

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

Dont BA usually open 3 hours ahead on the dot? Or is that T5 only?

T3 is usually a scrum at any time, especially once you get through airside, and security can sometimes take a while, if I were you I'd go through as soon as possible.

There are lots of places to get a cooked breakfast both land and airside but I dont know how many of them will be open at 215 am if you look on the heathrow airport website it should tell you.

Its an airport, so the word "cheapish" generally doesn't come into it :-)

p.s. I'd say with two suitcases its a 10 minute walk. (with none you could do it in 5)

Edited: 9:31 am, March 03, 2013
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,920 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

Kayleigh

You may find the website for Heathrow helpful. The website is

www.heathrowairport.com

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,861 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

From the Central Bus station just follow the signs for T3 departures. Take the escalator down to tube station level and walk along an underground corridor with travelators. These will eventually bring you up directly outside the departures hall.

You may, and I stress may, prefer to wait for dawn in the waiting area at the bus station. There is a Cafe Nero and a WH Smith but I doubt they will stay open all night. There is definitely a branch of Costa Coffee in the upstairs departure area before security that is open 24 hours.

9. Re: Heathrow + British Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014