We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

Sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

Looking to fly a single domestic sector in the US in June (so obviously not short notice). Southwest seem to have competitive prices, particularly taking the baggage allowance into consideration.

I've looked at the same date 3 times this week, and have seen 3 different fares. First for $59, then for $83, then for $72 (across the majority of flights on the same day).

Is this normal? If I track it over the next couple of weeks, will I continue to see movements like this?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

$59 is surely dirt cheap, couldn't realistically get much cheaper, why didn't you just book it at that price?

I'd just book it at $72, how long will you spend looking on line to save $13 (and then find it rises to $100 instead anyway?)?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

Doesn't seem that crazy !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

I was expecting rises in the hundreds...just book it and don't look again

Edited: 4:27 am, March 01, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

Absolutely. Just book it and don't look back.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

> First for $59

I believe that Southwest Airlines was running a national fare sale over the last couple of days which is why you saw this otherwise abnormal variation.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

delete your cookies 1st

and follow airlines on Twitter

SOUTHWEST, AIRTRAN, JETBLUE,

and VIRGINAMERICA

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,619 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

Southwest's prices are the lowest when they first come out unless they have a sale(which they just had). Why are you "following" the prices and not buying the ticket??? IF you wait the low priced seats will be gone and the price will just keep going up.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

I recently got a great deal to Tampa on Southwest. I love the way they line up rather than reserve seats---just be sure to check in 24hrs prior to your flight or pay the 10- for priority boarding.

Sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

The reason for waiting was a time decision in the sense that I need my international leg to be confirmed before I'll book the domestic add on and I'd gone onto the page a couple of times to check scheduling to see how it all lined up.

And yes, I know it's only $25ish, but going up 40% one day, then down 15% the next seemed strange to me.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest - crazy fluctuations?

It's a low fare, it's only going up and down a few dollars so the percentages are IMO meaningless. They aren't going to bother raising or lowering it by say 3$ just to fit with someone's idea of how much prices should fluctuate by :-)

In any case, youlll see people here complaining that say a $500 fare went up by 30 or 40% overnight, so even in that context it's not THAT rare.

Edited: 9:54 am, March 02, 2013