We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

Taking my family back to USA in August and pondering whether to purchase tickets now or to wait. Our dates are flexible but we do need to be in LA on August 11th for a wedding.

Currently best I can get is around $4500 for the 6 of us (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 infants). Would really love to get there for sub-4K.

As we will be travelling after school holidays and during a shoulder season, I expect a sale fare will be offered some time in the next couple of months. Your thoughts?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

Have you ever seen tickets for under 4K total? Admittedly we've been having to pay adult prices for our kids for a few years now so I'm a little out of touch in that respect. But $4,500 sounds okay to me.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

You don't give the price per ticket. All paying the same amount? Non-stop? What airline? Don't ask people to calculate infant vs. adult fares for various airlines. Your total cost sounds very good if everyone paying the same. I wish I would fly LAX-OZ r.t. for under $800, but I am guessing you'd pay less ofr infants. Always risky to wait for fares to fall, especially for summertime travel.

Edited: 8:05 am, February 27, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

Adults fare is around 1150, kids pay 75% of adult fare and infants pay 10% of adult fare. So it's not 800 pet person.

There were some Air NZ fares to LAX for under 4k recently but my dates were not confirmed at that stage.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

i think this year's low level seems to be between $1200 and $1100.

maybe the $900 fares are a thing of the past.

i think i would be locking in.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

I paid just under $900 return Melb - LAX with Virgin Australia in Nov 2009. This was when they first launched the route.

2-3 years on, I would be stoked with a Melb - LAX return flight around the $1100 mark with a full service airline, and would actually be happy to pay up to around $1300.

I guess you need to think about what would be worse/upset you more - if you wait and the fare actually INCREASES, or if you book now and then they drop in the next 6 months. Personally, I book my flights when they're at a price I'm happy with and I can afford and then I just don't look at the prices again!

Edited: 6:08 pm, February 27, 2013
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

Lock it in. 6 people (infants or not) at that price? Why not...

7. Re: SYD-LAX : August, buy now or wait

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 01, 2014