We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

W.yorks
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

Hi all!Going to JFK from Heathrow in June.Already booked on

Econ class.Was wondering how much to up-grade when checking in, if available.Paid for an upgrade 2 yrs ago on AA

and it was a different world.

Any comments appreciated.

Plano TX
Level Contributor
331 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

Have you checked online in "Manage my Booking" to see if there are any upgrade offers? After I booked our trip in World Traveller there was an offer to upgrade to WT+ for $199.

uk
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

You can only upgrade one class of travel with BA so you can therefore only upgrade to WT+, not too CW the BC product.

You can often pick up WT+ upgrades at check in for less than £200 each way if they are available (and as somebody already said even earlier through MMB).

However don't expect the same sort of standard you had in AA BC.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

There is no fixed price list.

Upgrades could vary from £150 to £5,000, depending to what class, what you originally paid, what the price is now, what offers are on, what availability there is.

Geordie, I have been informed by others that you CAN do on the day cash upgrades multi-class, eg economy -> business for example. Not always, depends on the day what available, how much and so on.

And yes, OP, the upgrade you get from WT to WT+ is a much less significant upgrade than in American from economy to business, since WT+ is an intermediate class between the two that doenst exist on American (but closer to WT than Business)

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

You can only upgrade one class of travel with BA so you can therefore only upgrade to WT+, not too CW the BC product.

Not true I'm afraid geordie.You can only upgrade one class with avios,which you cannot do at check in.You can upgrade 3 classes at check in with cash,depending on how much you wish to pay.

WT to WT+ is normally £199 if they have seats available,and if they are doing cash upgrades.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

Yes you can upgrade at check in more than one class.

On my last trip to Argentina I upgraded to WT+ from WT that had been purchased for me.

I was offered club as well though. It cost around £269 for WT+ if I remember correctly for club they wanted £629

So most definitely is possible.

:-)

Edited: 6:01 pm, February 26, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

My last couple of flights from EDI they were advertising upgrades to WT+ for £179 at the check-in desk. Of course, that's not to say you'll be offered the same when you fly.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

Heathrow to Sydney about £200-£250 for WT+ from economy WT

And well worth it

Edited: 7:14 pm, February 26, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

If you can upgrade to WT+ from economy, then even from London to JFK it is IMHO worth it - more space, better food - although nowhere near club class of course.

If you have not already joined the BA Executive Club then do so, enter your details, and you may or may not get a discounted price for upgrading to WT+ on offer.

Always worth asking at the airport as well as you CAN get offered economy to Club class, but price and availability depend.

fyi, BA are currently piloting on-board upgrades on certain routes where once seats are known to be empty when the doors close, the purser can dish out and receive payments for upgrades - but only on certain routes currently.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

To upgrade from WT+ to Club World (MIA to LHR) was $700 at check-in a couple of weeks ago. They told me the price varied according to the popularity of the route rather than the distance travelled.

London
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any ideas of how much BA upgrades are at check-in

are these on the day upgrades (if available) cheaper than booking say WT+ in the first instance?