We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

Hi all, we booked May flights Honolulu-Sydney-Perth via an agent, who advised Hawaiian allowed/recommended the connection. It was to arrive Sydney 1740, connecting at domestic terminal to Perth at 1920. Agent advised late today that Hawaiian flight has been rescheduled to arrive Sydney at 1800, which is still within Hawaiian's minimum connection time of 75 mins. Agent advises Hawaiian told her they would not be responsible should we miss the connection, in terms of finding us an alternative flight or accommodation overnight (1920 flight is last flight of the night to Perth) as it meets their minimum. For us to change our flight could incur costs of $250pp (there are 7 of us) plus airfare differences. Travel insce doesnt cover changes due to airline rescheduling. Any advice? Is this connection do-able? Help!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

Are you traveling on two separate tickets?

Edited: 11:12 am, February 26, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

As GB insinuates, something doesn' smell right here, if they wont pay up on a missed connection thats over MCT, and they obviously wouldn't pay on one thats under MCT, when WOULD they pay?

Your second question "is it doable" is unanswerable except in retrospect, since it depends what happens on the day. Suppose the first flight is an hour late for example? Ir there are massive queues at immigration?Or both?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

80 mins is a very tight connection for sydney international to domestic even at that time of the day but doable

who is the sydney to perth flight with?

qantas or virgin?

virgin and hawaiian have an alliance so u should be able to take advantage of the seamless transfer system at T1 for T2.

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

GB we are travelling one ne ticket Perth to Sydney to Honolulu to Sydney to Perth. Ticketed via Hawaiian, using Qantas for the domestic leg with their codeshare arrangement. Joe, I know we cant predict crowds, weather etc. If Hawaiian is delayed arriving into Sydney, they are liable for us missing the connection, in terms of accom and flights next day/available so we are covered in that instance as its their fault we missed the 1920 flight. But if they land bang on time and we miss the QF flight due to queues at immiration, getting lost between terminals, whatever, then they are not liable for that. Lien, I have been reading up on the seamless transfer, which we qualify for being on one ticket, but would love to hear from anyone who has actually had to do such a tight connection at Sydney.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

I don't think you have much choice risk it or pay the extra to change the flight I personally would risk it as you only have immigration you don't have to pick up any luggage.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

75 minutes?

No. Your agent has obviously never been through the connection between SYD int'l arrival and SYD domestic. You will have to clear Immigration and Customs, wait for your luggage, then make your way to the check-in/bus area for transfer to the other terminal, on the other side of the runway. Remember, there are minimum check-in times for your bags before the next flight. Buses don't run at the exact moment you want to go. Then you have to make your way to your next gate.

Last month when I did that I left 4 hours between landing and taking off as I had to take the train between terminals. 4 hours is too long, but it would have taken me 2 hours between flights had I been able to take the bus across.

BTW... I had express clearance through immigration. The regular line looked to be at least 40 minutes.

Edited: 2:24 pm, February 27, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

at that time of night and with the seamless transfer system i still say u have a chance....albeit an outside chance of making it.

we have been out the door in 20 mins from landing at T1 at that time of the evening (one of us with a foreign passport).

Edited: 2:44 pm, February 27, 2013
8. Re: Connection Time too short Honoulu to Sydney to Perth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2014