We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

Why are the flights so expensive from Northern Ireland, last year we could travel a family of 4 for £900 return, but this year it is costing £1600. At these prices airlines will not be filling seats. For the same flights from mainland uk is costing approx £90 pp one way. This is totally wrong and shame on the airlines. Bring back Ryanair into northern Ireland......

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

Making a profit maybe?

Ever price out the cost to buy and maintain a plane? Add in fuel and all the other costs and it is pretty expensive.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,535 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

"Why are the flights so expensive from Northern Ireland" - part of the problem could be a lack of carriers on the route you are looking at.

Flights from rest of UK might be cheaper due to increased competition amongst carriers but without details of route/date it's impossible to say more.

Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

I agree with the cost and expense to buy a plane, fuel costs etc, but whenever the plane is doing the same air miles eg, Belfast to Palma is much more expensive than say Glasgow to Palma where there is not much difference in miles. Northern Ireland travel is too expensive,

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

Ive just chosen random dates in June from Belfast to Palma return averaging £243

Manchester to palma return on the same dates is about £210 so not that big a difference.

:-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

At these prices airlines will not be filling seats

--------

How do you know? Just because you can't justify it doesn't mean others won't.

Airlines don't charge based on covering costs, they'll charge what the market will bear. If you were selling a product and could sell it for X or 1.5X what would you do?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,227 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

I've just done a quick comparison for peak season, mid July, and on one airline the base price from GLA-PMI was £76 more expensive than BFS-PMI and very similar flight times.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

Bring back Ryanair into northern Ireland.....

maybe you should read the recent post about Ryanair prices being so high. If you want to fly FR then just drive a littel bit further to Dublin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

It's supply/demand, not cost.

In April I'm flying a return connecting flight to an island only 40 minutes flying time, but the ticket prices are fixed at 600 euros - always, all the time, no discounts.

It's just the way it is.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

Trying going through BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT.

AND on arrive classed as 2nd hand citzens

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights soooooo expensive from Northern Ireland

Definitely consider Dublin if cost is a big issue. I often fly from Dublin as there are so few direct flights to anywhere from Belfast other than mainland UK or the typical sun destinations and as I prefer city breaks or far-flung destinations, I sometimes go from Dublin. Except for my next trip, I can't even go from Dublin - I'm having to spend 2 nights at Gatwick airport. Bah!

Unfortunately I think it is supply + demand plus increased fuel charges. Quite a few people have complained about increased fares recently and lack of routes :(