We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Australia to Europe

Sydney
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Australia to Europe

I'm planning a Europe trip for July. I won't know definite dates until April but my travel agent says by that time, there will be no flights left at a reasonable price. Has anyone experienced this or is my travel agent just trying to secure our booking asap?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

July is peak season - so your TA is probably right

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

Why the need for a travel agent? You can search, select and book online with no problems and save the agents commission. You can check the prices now online and see what's available.... no one knows when the airlines put their prices up or down with certainty. The only certain thing is the earlier you book the cheaper the fare ..."usually" .But why take the risk that they will?

Edited: 6:47 am, February 22, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

The only advantage with travel agents is often being able to leave a small deposit and pay the rest of the fare at a later date, thus securing the seats.

As others said, July is peak season -- start of Euro summer holidays. Try to secure seats soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

A few airlines have speciaks at moment so giid time to book now

Edited: 9:54 pm, February 22, 2013
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

Hi,

Use www.webjet.com.au, www.skyscanner.com etc, etc to scope airlines, prices, flights & layovers - once you have gathered a short wish list - go straight to that specific airlines website - book you flight and select your seats -

BUT DON'T - whatever you do book flights on these sites as anything you think you will save will be eaten up by the AUD$$$s "fine print "

Use the sites above ONLY as a search engine !.

...............and stay away from travel agents

Have a great trip !

Edited: 12:22 am, February 23, 2013
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

<<.and stay away from travel agents>>

Why? I know most of the regulars here are experts in the field of booking their own travel, but there are others who would benefit from some guidance. Paying a few $$$ in commission would be a small investment compared to some of the howlers we are presented with on an almost daily basisby DIY-ers in these pages.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

Hi AusUniStudent

April may be cutting it a bit fine, and I doubt whether any "sales" will be on that close to peak season, however as everyone suggests, it's impossible to predict when "sale fares" will be available.

July is peak, peak, peak.

As Vada has suggested, have a good look at Webjet and skyscanner to get an idea on what's around.

We did that recently, and managed to score a great deal from KL to Paris & Return on the new Malaysian A380 service middle of June, returning end July. Then grabbed an Air Asia flight Sydney - KL with an over night each way (our choice), all up AUD $1450 including all taxes and bags. That was as a result of monitoring skyscanner for a couple of weeks, saw the deal with Malaysian and jumped on it.

I know we are not travelling on one ticket with that added security, but figure an o/n in KL each way is a nice way to break up the trip and get our Asian food hit at the same time!

Otherwise, if you're not confident, go visit a TA and pay the small amount of commission to feel safe.

If I were you, I'd probably try and confirm your dates soon and get cracking.

Good luck.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

<<.and stay away from travel agents>>

Nothing wrong with a good full service travel agent. And if the OP knows one nothing wrong with using them. Agents can also find multi-carrier interline schedules that the airlines don't sell online. My mother uses a full service travel agent and she's very happy with them.

But DO stay away from the 3rd party online bookers linked through by the likes of Skyscanner. They are not travel agents.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,026 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

>>You can search, select and book online with no problems and save the agents commission.<<

With most airlines operating out of Australia, a travel agent can sell at the airline's price and the airline pays the agent's commission.

A good travel agent will know of offers that are difficult to find online, especially those involving a combination of airlines. The last 4 times we have been to Europe, our agent has been able to find fares cheaper than we could find online.

You will usually get the best service from a small independent travel agent rather than one of the chains found in big shopping centres.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Australia to Europe

A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold! I love mine, she has saved me so much money.