We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

my husband has chronic obstructructive airway disease and needs to take a small oxygen concentrator on the plane he will not be using it on the plane as its only a short flight i rang the airline many times to try and get a medical clearance they dont know what i am talking about has anyone had the same problem how do i deal with them thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,569 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

I don't understand. If he will not be using the device on the plane, why not put it into your checked luggage?

Sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about either,

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

Medical clearance for air travel is issued by your doctor

and shown to the airline to prove that your husband is fit to travel.

Is that what you're asking?

England
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

''I don't understand. If he will not be using the device on the plane, why not put it into your checked luggage?''

I don't think you can have oxygen in the hold as it is pressurised down there. It could explode. Could you check with your husband's consultant or GP as they might have heard of this before.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

The OP is not talking about an oxygen tank. An oxygen concentrator takes in air from the environment, pressurizes it and removes the Nitrogen, then provides a stream of concentrated oxygen.

They are approved for use in-cabin by the FAA, so I don't see any issue with carrying one either in carry-on or checked baggage. There should not be any clearance or other paperwork necessary just to carry it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

I wouldn't put it in checked luggage in case the luggage gets lost. I would think it would fall under the same rules as a cpap machine, in which case the airline doesn't care (in fact, my mother can take hers on without it having to fit in her one carryon and one personal item) but you'd have to take it out to show security. That's in the US, however, and carry on rules would vary by airline.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

This is what Tiger say about medical equipment ... Carry on medical equipment

Life-supporting medical equipment may be carried on board provided it meets cabin luggage limitations and is not classified as "dangerous goods" under the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations.

This applies in particular to any type of oxygen generating equipment.

Approval for carriage of such equipment must be obtained through the call centre at least 5 (five) days before departure.

And this is about medical conditions ...

All passengers must be medically fit to travel in order for Tiger Airways to accept them for carriage. If a passenger is suffering from a serious illness or a communicable disease, or has had recent surgery then please call our call centre for more information. A medical clearance form may be required from your doctor.

So you need to contact them about the equipment and get some sort of acknowledgement and you need a form from his doctor who should be aware of what is needed.

7. Re: medical clearance form to fly with tigerairways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 24, 2014