We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

What do I need to do at time of check in or before I reach the airport concerning taking my CPAP device on board. Does it take the place of one carry on bag or is it allowed in addition to carry on. It has it's own carrying case with attachments & is no larger than 7" x 13" long x 8" wide and has a strap. Should x-ray be avoided and instead be visibly inspected so as not to harm unit?

I also have Lovenox pre-filled injections for daily injection to be transported, but need only 3 for this upcoming weekend trip. I will be traveling with my daughter who is a flight attendant.

64 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

You should post this on the Air Travel Forum. The Support Forum is for assistance with actually using the TripAdvisor site.

As a first step you will probably need to check with the airline concerned to confirm you are permitted to have the CPAP machine on board. No doubt they can also advise you as the the process if you are.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

Just in case you don't know how to get to the Air Travel Forum here it is:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Regards,

L4

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
24,929 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

You might also post on the Travelling with Disabilities forum; I see a few old threads touch on that issue:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12336-Traveling…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forums! We have moved your topic here to the Air Travel forums and as CW mentioned, the Traveling with Disabilities forum will likely offer a lot of useful information as well.

Good luck with your research!

TA_Louise

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,611 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

Which airline?

I've taken my CPAP on Delta, domestic as well as international. Unless something has changed, Delta does not allow it to be used in flight, but it's "medical equipment" and not counted as part of my carry-on allowance. I have taken it packed in my carry-on, also.

It usually goes through the bag scanner at Security, and usually is also inspected individually.

Sorry, can't help with the injections question, but I expect someone else can speak to that.

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

It's not included in United's carry on either. It's considered medical so you can take your CPAP and a regular carry on.. Same policy on Air Canada, Air Transat. never had an issue travelling with. (Can not use on flight)

In Canada and Europe it usually just gets scanned like everything else. In the USA I usually have to take it out of it's travel case.

New City, New York...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

I have travelled with CPAP. TSA is familiar with the bag and machine, airlines treat it like a personal item. The bummer is if you carry a computer and cpap, you have to check your bag$$ I'm looking for a small one to carry in my carry on.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

Old post but....

I am not sure on which airline you traveled StevenK, but all of the airlines we have traveled with recently consider the CPAP (in it's own carrying case) as an allowed additional piece of carryon (medical device), as per FrozenRose's and other's posts.

United, Delta, Hawaiian and also Air NZ, ANA, Air Canada and Westjet (probably + a few others I have forgotten), have allowed the "medical device" as carryon, in addition to the regular carry on and personal item.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

A C-Pap is medical equipment. You may carry it on the plane with you in addition to the two pieces of carry-on luggage you are allowed. So you can certainly carry on your C-Pap, your computer and your regular carry-on luggage. No need to make decisions.

What you do with your C-Pap when moving through TSA check depends exclusively on the policy of the airport. In some airports I am required to open the case. In some airports I am required to remove the machine and put it in a separate bin. In a few airports it just stays zipped up in its case and goes through the machine. I do not know why these airports are not consistent, but they are not. Just ask what they want you to do and then comply with the request.

You are also permitted to carry your injection medication on board. Just be sure that your medication is clearly identified with the regular prescription label you receive when you get the medication. If that label is on the outside of a box, and you are only taking three of them from the box, you will need to take the label from the box so it identifies what you are bringing on board with you.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel

We have been traveling with C-Pap machines for over 30 years. The only time we had a problem trying to take it on board in our rolling carry on bag was with Air Portugal who had a weight limit with carry on bags on that particular flight to the Azores (5 pounds). We asked to speak to a supervisor who quickly approved our carry on bags when we stated they contained medical equipment. We did get a lot of stares from all of the other passengers who were not allowed to take their rolling carry on bags aboard.

An large lady at Heathrow (about 30 years ago) tried to disassemble the C-Pap machine and had the tools in hand when her supervisor stepped in and advised her there was nothing suspicious within the unit! That's when the units were much bigger.

Reply to: CPAP machine carry-on for air travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted