We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

Manhattan, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

I'm doing a multi-city trip through Italy this summer. I don't want to use the standard luggage since we will be doing a lot or train transfers and walking (cobblestone). Does anyone know if a large hiker's backpack can be used as a carry-on? I'm nervous to check it because we have a very quick transfer and I'd rather have all my stuff with me than to chance it getting lost in Dusseldorf somewhere. I don't have a backpack yet but was looking at the Teton 1500 but that seems too big for Air Berlin's restrictions (55cmX40X20) so I am also looking for recommendations on a backpack. Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,589 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

It doesn't matter what you carry on as long as long it's within the allowed size and weight dimensions.

Manhattan, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

Hmm, then I think they are too big to carry on. That's unfortunate. Still, if anyone out there has carried one on and can suggest a brand and model please let me know. Thanks!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,327 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

It doesn't matter if 1000 people have successfully carried this oversized bag on. If YOU are flying the day the airline decides to enforce their rules YOU are the one with big problems. When it comes to luggage you go by the rules not by anecdotal evidence!

Manhattan, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

Oh, I have no intentions of breaking the rules. In my search I'm finding that the options that fit within the carry on restrictions are quite small for a 13 day trip. As light as I might try to go, I can't see fitting shoes and clothes in that. I'm going to do my research on connections at Dussedorf on Air Berlin and hopefully my fears of lost luggage will be quelled. Thanks all!

livorno
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

the standard for carry on is 55cm X 40X20 on mostly all airline doesnt matter the fabric has long it doesnt go beyond that size when full.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

Why bother dragging up an old post? OP would have already completed his trip. Necroposting is poor form jeanjean.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

I recently flew with Air Berlin from Vienna to Rome and honestly, the size of some of the carry-ons that people had was beyond belief. Two girls in the seats next to me both had HUGE carry on bags, that they couldn't fit in the overhead lockers, so they sat them on the floor in front of them (they were too big to go under the seats) and put their legs either side of them. There didn't seem to be any policing of carry on bags at all, and it was a pretty full flight.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

(they were too big to go under the seats) and put their legs either side of them)

The flight attendants should have removed them . They were a safety issue in the event of an emergency.

I get really annoyed with those who insist on saving time or money, and the airline gate staff who allow it, with those who take on huge backpacks or excess hand luggage. The lockers are there as a convenience for items required during the flight, not as another hold.

If you wonder why - I've been cut badly and required stitches by dutyfree booze falling and had glasses wiped from my face by inconsiderate people carrying large items.

Do us a favour and put it in the hold.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,327 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

Vicki--while it may not have won you Ms. Popularity I would have said something, If there was turbulence there is a good chance that YOU would have been the one hit by the bags. YOUR safety has value and if the airline isnt doing its' job then you need to be proactive. (IMHO)

Manhattan, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: large backpacks as carry-on (Air Berlin)

Haha, yes it was me who started this thread and I travelled back in June. I bought the E-Bags Mother Load. It is specifically designed to work as a backpack but fits in the carry-on model that you see at the airline gate. I had no issues whatsoever. I highly suggest this backpack! Happy travels!