We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ear Pain

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Ear Pain

Hiya, wondering if anyone could help me? I suffer badly from ear pain and on my last flight earPLANES didnt seem to help much, however when i went to the airport in Palma, Spain, I found some spanish flight ear plugs, similar to those of earPLANES but the tube that regulates ear pressure was larger. I believe they are call 'Sahora', but everytime i search for them on the internet i can never find anything. Has anyone come across these, and would you know how i could buy them from the UK, thanks!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ear Pain

Try this forum instead: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ear Pain

I used to suffer from horrific ear pain on flights until a friend suggested taking decongestant tablets. I now take one around an hour before take off or landing (or just the one before takeoff for short haul) and I've never had a problem since.

Torrance, CA USA
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ear Pain

I am prone to this condition as well and my doctor strongly encouraged me to use a nasal spray 30 minutes before take-off. It really does the trick for me. In the States I use a spray called Afrin that is sold over the counter. No prescription is needed.

Good luck.

England, United...
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ear Pain

You could try taking a MUCRON tablet a couple of hours before take-off and blowing your nose very gently, one side ( nostril) at a time perhaps every half hour during the flight.

Mucus, which is a cause of naso- pharyngeal congestion, can be reduced by avoiding milk and other dairly products, wherever possible, for a couple of days before flying.

Some people find that sniffing a strong smelling aroma, like eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil, both readily available from UK chemists, helps clear their head.

I wish you a safe, comfortable and happy flight.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ear Pain

I use sinutab when I have any sort of cold for takeoff and landing. Chewing gum or sucking on a candy can help keep your ears clear, and doing that yawn thing to equalize the pressure helps too. I've seen people ask for hot cups on a flight, the flight attendant puts two cups with paper towels and a bit of hot water to be held over your ears. But I'm convinced it does nothing but make you look ridiculous lol!

Guess I'm just lucky I've never really had a problem.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ear Pain

The product you are looking for is by a German company, and it is Sanohra Fly. My wife bought a set in Vienna for our return trip from Europe to Australia in November 2012. She had been having dreadful sinus problems and was realy worried about the flight.

As far as her ears and sinuses were concerned, there was no problem. These work really well. I can't find anywhere to buy them online in Australia, but there is a German company that ships them through Europe, which may also send to the UK. You would have to search the web to find it, I son't remember the website (they don't ship to Aus).

www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003OAJSQU/ to purchase them on Amazon.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ear Pain

Chewing gum during takeoff & landing often helps, in addition to the other remedies. When traveling with infants (long ago), having them suck on a bottle of juice or milk during takeoff & landing helps (learned this one the hard way).

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ear Pain

Also suffer this problem. As you are in the UK my doctor recommended Otrivine, a decongestant and you can buy t over the counter. I works for me. Also chewing gum and staying hydrated all helps. Ear pain s one of the worse things.

Good luck

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ear Pain

hello mondial, you could try eating peanuts on a plane, great for clearing sinuses AND doing away with a few passengers, too. AND you get to experience an emergency landing, also great for ENT mucosa. 38k feet in 11 minutes. 134 people stranded in southern france for over 24 hours. one passenger hospitalized. two pilots and four crew traumatized. one nervous passenger screaming all the way down. all because someone could not wait FORTY FIVE MINUTES for their daily fix of peanut. How's that for medical advice?

10. Re: Ear Pain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014