We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First longhaul flight with British Airways.

Newcastle, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
First longhaul flight with British Airways.

i will be eperiencing my first ever long haul flight in March to Vegas. I am flying with BA and was wondering what sort of service you get with food and drink?

Level Contributor
3,027 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

Well according to one poster they ran out of snacks ..... least it wasn't fuel! ;-)

May want to pack something to much on if you are a snack person.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

Assuming you're flying economy this is from the BA website although airline food is never a culinary experience.

"Throughout your flight, you'll enjoy warm and attentive service from our team of experts. They're always on hand to offer you refreshments from our complimentary bar service, as well as tasty three course meals perfectly suited to your flight time and designed by leading chefs."

Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

You'll get drinks, followed by a hot meal, then 90 min or so from landing a snack,most likely a sandwich.

Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

On the food it depends when you're flying if it's a day flight it will be lunch with a snack before you land if it's a night flight you'll get dinner about 2 hours after you leave and breakfast before you land. all airline food can be hit and miss so we always take some snacks with us although i have to say BA food jhas always been pretty good the least time they had sausage and mash.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,788 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

You might also want to look at the 'tips for long haul flights' under the Top Qs over on the right of the page to prepared yourself generally for the flight.

It won't be gourmet food, and at altitude which affects the taste buds, it's unlikely to taste anything more than perfectly OK, but I've never found BA food utterly disgusting - yet! If you're a vegetarian or need a special diet, you need to pre order this well before the flight. Otherwise, unless you're unlucky and seated at the back when they've run out of choices, the hot main course is usually 2 choices, 90% of the time effectively beef or chicken!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
53,248 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

Hold off on in flight service for a minute. If you've booked NCL-LHR-LAS with a same day connection then please do check in on line as you will be able to do so for the long haul flight at the same time you check in for the NCL-LHR flight.

Your flight from T5 will probably depart from one of the B or C satellite terminals. The walk from the main terminal building to some of the B or C gates can take 10 - 15 minutes (including the ride on the free transit train) so please allow enough time to go from point to point.

On board service is as above. After the fasten seatbelt sign is switched off service will be as joe said: drinks run, hot meal, then tea and coffee. If you've booked in WT+ you'll receive a choice of Club World mains but other items on the tray will be as in WT (although metal rather than plastic cutlery is on WT+ trays these days). After tea and coffee it will be lights out.

There may be a tuck box in the galley for WT pax but I'm not certain about that; there is usually one in place for WT+ pax.

Pre-arrival snack will be coffee or tea and a filled roll or croissant.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

First of all i booked my flight from Denver to Heathrow, ieleven months prior to flying and on arrival at the check in, they did not have a seat for my wife or I, after a big row and the police being called they found a seat but not together in different rows and a differnt sides of the aircraft.

Food was very poor, I left mine, it was hot but did not seem to have been cooked as it should have been.

In flight entertainment i dont know the seat back system was broken

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

Eh?! Don't understand - did you have your eticket? Why didn't you check in online?

9. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:08 am, February 27, 2013
Level Contributor
580 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First longhaul flight with British Airways.

We have been flying with BA into the states for the past years and have always had very good service from the time we booked. Check in online 24 hours before is good as it enables you to choose your seat if the seat allocated is not agreeable to you. T5 is a very pleasant terminal, plenty to look at for a browse around. On the plane, food is generally pretty palatable, the wine offered is good. Water and juice is bought around at intervals for passengers but you are able to go into the galley to get a drink as a tray is normally laid out with water and juice for passengers to help themselves. We were even offered a cup of tea when we were standing at the back of plane near the galley to stretch our legs when we could not sleep. A snack box with crisps, biscuits and assorted chocolate bars is usually available in the galley on a help yourself basis after dinner and before tea on landing. The crew have always been very professional as especially noted when one passenger became quite ill on our last trip back. Hope this helps.