We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is a better airline

Novato
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which is a better airline

We ( 2 adults) are flying from San Francisco to Dublin in October, business class. Any thoughts on which would be the preferred airline ( thinking quality of service, comfort, etc.) Aer Lingus or BA?

Thanks for any help

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is a better airline

BA in my view although I don't think you'll get a non stop flight with BA - not sure whether Aer Lingus is a non stop flight.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/brit_awys.htm

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/aer_ling.htm

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is a better airline

BA by far, looking at the seat (fully flat on BA, angled on EI), cabin and plane (B747 on BA, so great upper deck experience). If things are not changing by October, you would land and take off from LHR T1 (so no terminal change but only regular lounges). If you choose the EI option, you would connect somewhere in the US. On the plus side, US pre-clearance is done in Dublin on most flights to the US on EI. On the minus side, you would have a shorter transatlantic flight (which I don't like since it means a shorter night).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is a better airline

Assuming the Aer Lingus is direct and BA indirect via Heathrow I'd take the direct flight every day. Also on the way back with AL you will preclear immigration in Dublin making for a much more pleasant arrival at SFO.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is a better airline

SFO - LHR with BA arrives T5, not T1, so there would be a change of terminal.

If you got the earlier flight from SFO, it means you could then use the BA arrivals lounge before your flight to Dublin.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is a better airline

mickt: Gosh, TI at SFO but, yes, T5 at LHR. Sorry...

Edited: 5:31 am, February 11, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is a better airline

OP: as mickt mentioned, it would be more than recommended to use the arrival lounge at T5 if you have time (it means though entering the UK which can be long if you do not hold a e-passport) since the BA lounge at T1 would be the "UK and Ireland" one which has only limited facilities. If you decode though to remain airside, the bus ride between T1 and T5 takes 10 minutes and buses are frequent.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is a better airline

I would say BA is the better airline (certainly better in business class) but for the reasons stated Aer Lingus might be more convenient.

Another option is Swiss via Zurich. Again, a superior business class product.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,845 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is a better airline

As the EI option means changing in JFK,ORD or BOS then I would go with BA. A US domestic flight will not compare in comfort to Clubworld

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is a better airline

Agreed, if the AL flight isn't direct might as well go BA

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is a better airline

BA all the way even if the other flight was a non-stop which it isn't.