We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Rebooking trip from BOS - FCO/VCE-BOS

Boston...
Level Contributor
392 posts
30 reviews
Rebooking trip from BOS - FCO/VCE-BOS

I am in the process of rebooking a trip for 5 of us as above...my son was injured and we had to cancel our trip for next weekend (thank goodnes for trip insurance!)

Now that I have been reading this forum a bit more, I wanted to check to see if anyone had any general advice before I choose. We are planning to go mid-Aptil.

We have to travel economy, and were originally booked on BA through LHR both ways. The same route is available, slightly different times of course which is fine. (American also offers this a codeshare, I know it's the BA flights). Lufthansa has a route through Munich (offered by United as well). Layover times are smilar. Then there are random flights such as Aer Lingus through Dublin. (with an 8 hr layover!)

We don't fly enough to be worried about which airline/frequent flyer program...I'll choose based on carry on baggage limits and AVOD, and fares of course, but fares are all within $70 of eachother. BA seems to have a generous carryon limit, and we're trying to go with no checked bags (as opposed to for example Swiss which seems like a very much smaller size!) I *think* BA has AVOD even in economy where Lufthansa doesn't?

Before we book I just wanted to check if there's any wisdom re:"comfort" in economy (ha I know that's impossible), service staff, aircraft, food (!) etc. I know many people here fly business/premium economy at least but we just can't.

Thanks for any advice if you've got it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Rebooking trip from BOS - FCO/VCE-BOS

IMO, there is just not a huge difference in economy between most airlines, as far as service, etc.

UA does not fly to VCE, so you will be switching to probably Swiss or LH for the last leg. That will affect your carry ons.

If you are concerned about price and comfort, personally, I would choose UA and purchase E+ seats for the adults, as long as the children are old enough to travel a couple rows behind the adults. That's the least expensive way to get a bit more space. Note, both parents cannot sit in the exit row if they are traveling with children, so don't choose those seats.

Use seatguru.com to check out the AVOD on each plane.

I hope your son feels better, and isn't trip insurance a useful thing to have?

Edited: 11:15 am, February 08, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
392 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Rebooking trip from BOS - FCO/VCE-BOS

Thanks - I figured there's not a big difference but wanted to do my due diligence as I was getting caught up trying to figure out any difference about aircraft used etc. I will go with price and carry on allowance for the most part, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
15,232 posts
338 reviews
3. Re: Rebooking trip from BOS - FCO/VCE-BOS

This may or may not help you out of BOS but DL does have a JFK-VCE non-stop, as well as FCO.

4. Re: Rebooking trip from BOS - FCO/VCE-BOS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 10, 2014