We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need frankfurt airport expert !

Bali
Level Contributor
327 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
need frankfurt airport expert !

Hai again fellow travellers,

Need help with Frankfurt airport.

I will be arriving from austria into frankfurt @terminal 1 - A and will connect to @terminal 1 - Z.

My question is..how far is it from A to Z? Sounds like a loooooong walk! That is 24 alphabeth apart! LOL

Anyone knows a short cut? Is 80 minutes enough time to connect/transit + passport control ?

Thanks

J

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

Where are you connecting to?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

No worries. The A and Z concourses are on the same wing. FRA has the concept of "two floor" concourses. Concourse Z is directly above A.

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

If you are connecting to a flight to a non-Schengen country you will need to clear exit formalities. You may also need to clear security again. But, your walk will be minimal.

Bali
Level Contributor
327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

Hai all, thanks for the response! Will be travelling from salzburg to Singapore. From Fokker 100 to A380..i hope 80 minutes is enough!

J

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

While as USBT mentioned, A & Z are in the same building one above the other one, you will have to go to the main building (where the passport and security checks are now centralised) to go back to your departure gate (no shortcuts). So depending on the gate number this could be a long walk (as usual in FRA). In addition the queue can be quite long at both passport and security check (as usual in FRA). So for me 80 minutes is really short and only possible if everything goes smoothly. If both legs are on the same ticket, LH would put you on the next available flight which could be either LH on the day after or, much better, on SQ that leaves a bit later.

Bali
Level Contributor
327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

Hai swiss diver,

Thanks for the great tip.my flight from austria arrives at 8 PM, connect to another LH at 9.40 PM..so looks like 100 minutes to run!

Do you think its possible? All in 1 ticket..im sure if i were late,i will be booked on the next flight.

I know the flight from austria will park far far away from the terminal , and we have to wait for the bus..that whats concern me too.

J

Bali
Level Contributor
327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

To give you an idea:

Arrival at Terminal 1, Gate ASW

Depart at Terminal 1, Gate Z54

100 minutes..

J

Kasane, Botswana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

I work on the basis that the airline would not have sold you the connrction if it was not doable. You travel on one ticket on Staralliance carriers. Your bags get checked through. If they can transfer your bags you shoukd also make it. Depending when you travel, weather may cause a delay in Salzburg.

Let cabin staff know thst you hsve a tight connection and ask to be let off ahead of the pack if you arent in business.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

Gate Z54 is close to the main building (ifly.com/resources/img/airports/sub-terminal…). And the bus should bring you also close. So not so much walking. 100 minutes should then be all right, unless the Salzburg flight is really late.

Bali
Level Contributor
327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

Perfecto! Hopefully..i dont arrive @A-40..thats a looooong walk..LOL

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need frankfurt airport expert !

Just a quick update.

I transited at FRA early Saturday. Arrived at the far end of Z, and departed from Z close in (Z25). The good news is that there's an intermediate security checkpoint about a third of the way towards the main building. I was third in line and security took 3 minutes. I then continued along the airside Z to my gate (via the Senator lounge:))

And there's also a Z to A floor change there, with a Schengen (inbound) border control point.

I don't know if there's a similar A to Z security/ border control point (exit). But it does show that the improvements at FRA haven't completely slowed down the process and there still are some convenient security points like before.

Though I'd still personally be allowing at least 2 hours between connections.