We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
407 reviews
Save Topic
Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

Hi all -

I have a few off options for a trip to Thailand & Cambodia this summer and would love to hear your thoughts.

I live in Boston. All these flights are similarly priced.

Option 1: Lufthansa - $2054

-- Boston to Bankok, 1 stop in Frankfurt, but a ~8 hour layover each way. Then I'd fly from Bangkok to Cambodia to start our trip (55 minute flight).

Option 2: Asiana - $2126

Boston to Chicago to Seoul to Cambodia (2 stops, but layovers around 3 hours). The return would be Bangkok to Doha, Doha to New York, New York to Boston probably on Qatar. (2 stops with reasonable layovers).

Option 3: Qatar - $2,326

Boston to JFK RT on a separate ticket on Delta

Then JFK to Doha, Doha, to Bangkok, then Cambodia from Bangkok

Return Bangkok to Doha, Doha to JFK, JFK to Boston

-- One note on these flights, I have a friend who works for Qatar and if there is availability on my segments, might be able to get me a business class upgrade. These flights are a litte more expensive and add an extra flight out of Boston, but on such a long flight Business class would be amazing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

I'm partial to Asiana, but not at that price! Seoul Incheon Airport is a very nice place to transit.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

Qatar for me. It's a fabulous airline to fly with.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
26,942 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

Asiana. Best airline I've flown. I've heard very good things about Qatar too. I wouldn't do option 3 as it involves separate tickets, and you run the risk of losing the other ticket if you get delayed by the first flight.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

I have never flown Asiana but they have won some awards and always get spoke highly of.

Qatar I have flown, and always had a good flight, with great staff and just a great experience over all and highly recommend them. If you can get the business upgrade from your friend, do it. Your in for a great time!

Lufthansa I have never particularly enjoyed, the flights have never been bad but never been stand out either. The aircraft are getting a little dated now too and the staff always have been a little solemn and robotic and Frankfurt for transit is the pits. Badly laid out and not a lot of fun at all.

:-)

Edited: 1:02 pm, February 05, 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

Just for your info, August travel will be a few hundred less than July. Korean Airlines is another possibility, and is very good.

6. Re: Qatar, Asiana, Lufthansa to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 07, 2014