We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia or Jetstar

Nigel
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Air Asia or Jetstar

Hi this is the first time I am using budget airlines to fly from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. I would really appreciate if you could tell me which airline is more relaible overall- Air Asia or Jetstar.

Both are about the same price so I am looking at which one is least likely to cancel the flight and leave my family of 6 stranded. Thanks in advance

Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

I used air Asia from Langkawi to Penang, I didn't mind them for a budget airline. They didn't cancel the flight but they did move a 230pm flight to 530pm about a month before. Emails advising though we're very good. Idid like them to as I was able to add extra kilos up until a day before I flew

I have only flown jetstar in Australia so maybe someone else can comment on them.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

We don't have a crystal ball, so it's hard to tell about if it will be cancelled or not.

Air Asia flies into the low cost terminal (LCCT), so transport downtown is either bus (takes a long time), taxi (more convenient, get a minivan for your famiiy, or a convoluted connection to airtrain. From the regular KUL airport you can also catch the airtrain in addition to taxi, much faster (but then also taxi necessary to your hotel). Taxi service uses coupon system to prevent being ripped off.

I've had flights rescheduled by both carriers. I would choose based on the best flight times and if you want to land at LCCT or regular KUL airport. It's such a short flight that nothing else really matters.

Nigel
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

thanks for both your input. I'll just choose based on time.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

Jetstar only because the main airport's (KLIA) nicer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

I've used both on the same leg.. I usually fly to KL for the Formula 1 so Air Asia is better for me due to it arriving at the LCCC terminal - quicker to get to the track ;) ;)

Both are perfectly fine for a 1 hour flight (in fact last year Air Asia were delayed in departing back to Singapore , but made up the time in the air (flight lasted just over 30 mins)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

Hi

We've recently used Air Asia for 6 flights in about three weeks, including in and out of KL. We've also used Jetstar a few times from Sydney to Bali.

To be honest, I find them both reasonable, considering their "Low Cost" nature. We may have been lucky, but so far we have not experienced a cancellation or major delay on either airline.

If the fares are similar, I would go with times that suit you best, and failing that, I would probably choose Jetstar for the same reason as post #4 above - KLIA is definitely a nicer airport for what it's worth.

Good luck either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy KL.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

I have flew many times with AirAsia and just oncate with Jetstar from Penang to Singapore. Both are good for a LCC. At least Jetstar has a FA at the gate controlling the number and size of hand luggage to be carried on board. I loved that.

Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

I agree with ThomasGee. Helps reduce people moving your cabin bag to make way for their own. I personally enjoy using Jetstar for any budget travel

Perth
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

I have used both. Between the two I would always pick Jetstar over Air Asia as I feel safer. I am more confident in the Jetstar pilots and aircraft, particularly, through its connection with Qantas which is one of the safest and best airlines in the world.

Perth
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia or Jetstar

I have used both. Between the two I would always pick Jetstar over Air Asia as I feel safer. I am more confident in the Jetstar pilots and aircraft, particularly, through its connection with Qantas which is one of the safest and best airlines in the world.