We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United from San Fran to Syd

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
165 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
United from San Fran to Syd

I understand there is no seat back entertainment or plug ins at the seats. Do you know if there's a place to plug in a laptop to recharge?? Long flight with no entertainment!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

well there is entertainment....of a sort.

they have music and movies, 4 or 5 plus TV shows on cabin screens.

and u can take a book or a kindle.

and it's only 14 hours, not a life time.

Edited: 9:29 pm, February 03, 2013
Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
165 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

But is there a plug in?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

No, not yet.

United is rolling out wifi on the 747s, including streaming the AVOD in flight entertainment to passengers' own devices. As part of this they are going to install in seat power.

BUT that's going to take a full year to get all the aircraft fitted out, so the chances now are very slim of getting that. As of January, there was one 747 with wifi (but not in seat power).

I fly the 744 quite a lot, and have an 11 hour FRA-SFO coming up. I charge my iPhone and iPad and ensure they're loaded with music, podcasts and a couple of movies/TV shows. It works just fine for flights of up to 14 hours.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

If there is no plug in at your seat, no. Even if there was a plug, it's not for recharging. Buy an external battery.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

Why don't they have a/c fitted with seat back entertainment on these long routes? It was the same thing on my 8 hr United 777 HNL/ORD flight a few years ago.

Is it because they don't make as much money as other shorter routes where they do use a/c with seat back entertainment fitted?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

i must be the only pax who doesn't care whether seat back entertainment (or indeed any entertainment) is provided by airlines.

it's just nice to be locked away from the world for half a day with my thoughts and a good book.

the one time i ventured into the world of seat back entertainment across the pacific was with virgin australia. i was 'lucky' enough to have a kid behind me playing games on the touch screen which he thought was a punch screen. ok, that didn't last long (i was very nice about it) but it didn't alter my preferences.

so it's nice to fly united.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

>> Why don't they have a/c fitted with seat back entertainment on these long routes? <<

Firstly, United DOES have seat back entertainment in economy on all international 757s, 767s, 777s and (when they fly again) the 787s. All except the 3-class 767-300s and three PM-United 777s are full AVOD.

Regarding the 747s, the long winded USBT opinion is that the pre-merger United management messed up. When they upgraded the 744's first and business class (in 2009) they fitted full AVOD there, and they could (and IMO should) have put PTV/AVOD in economy at the same time. But they didn't (the only thing they did was replace the old TV monitors with large flat screen displays). The ironic thing is that when they upgraded their 777s (starting a year later) they did put AVOD in economy.

The new management is at least doing something about this. They've decided not to put in seat video in the 744s because they are getting old and are slated for retirement in the 2017-18 timeframe, so not worth the investment. So they decided a cheaper solution (and one quicker to implement) which is to make the AVOD available by wifi to passengers' wifi enabled devices. Okay, not everyone has a laptop or iPad but many do and it serves them. At the same time they're implementing satellite internet wifi. The streaming AVOD will be free, though you'll pay for internet wifi.

So nothing to do with not making enough money on long haul routes. It was IMO a poor judgement call from the old management, and well done the new (from Continental) management for doing something about it.

AFAIK the domestic UA 777s will not be fitted with AVOD; that's for the international configurations only.

And no I don't work for United.

Edited: 11:47 pm, February 03, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

I remember the old days of pulldown screens Lien...and I just got so bored and restless even with a good book. I've found the flight goes so much quicker if you convert the flight time into movies, especially if you are talking about 15 hours or more....i.e. I need to watch 5 movies and then I'll be there....or 6 eps of Big Bang Theory and 2 movies etc etc.

Thanks for the feedback USBT. I've often wondered about it.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

<<i must be the only pax who doesn't care whether seat back entertainment (or indeed any entertainment) is provided by airlines.>>

Aircraft are the only places I get to see current movies!

10. Re: United from San Fran to Syd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 06, 2014