We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

Hello.

I will be flying back to the US from Europe. Final destination: Portland, Oregon (PDX).

1) Originating from Paris to Seattle to PDX (Portland Int'l Airport)

or

2) Either from Paris to Amsterdam to Portland Int'l Airport

3) Not sure yet if the same airlines or different airlines. I am booking through Orbitz.

4) Do I collect my luggage in Seattle and then re-check for my flight to Portland? I think I collect my luggage at the first US point of entry (which is Seattle)?

5) If I go through Amsterdam, what are the rules? Do I assume my luggage will be checked all the way through to Portland? The layover in Amsterdam is only 1 hour and that makes me very scared thinking it may not be enough time?

What do you think please?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

If you fly Paris-Seattle-Portland, you will go through US Immigration and Customs at Seattle. Your luggage may be tagged to PDX, but you have to pick it up at SEA, take it through US Customs, and hand it back to airport staff.

If you fly Paris-Amsterdam-Portland, your luggage will be checked through. You will go through Schengen Passport Control at Amsterdam. You and your luggage will go through US Immigration and Customs at Portland.

The above assumes that you will be travelling on one ticket with one airline or affiliated airlines. If you are on two tickets or on two airlines that are not affiliated, you will have to pick up your luggage and do a full re-check at either Seattle or Amsterdam.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

Is there a reason you would book through Orbitz and not directly through the airline?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

I have booked with Orbitz or Expedia for 20 years. They have the best assortment of flights, different airlines and schedules and fares and I just find it easier to navigate through their sites. For no other reason.

I am booking on one ticket.

Thanks for the explanation.

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

I just booked a flight from U.S. to Prague. Reading much advice here to book through the airline after narrowing down options on the third party travel sites such as Orbitz, I tried to do exactly that. Found a series of United flights that fit my schedule, then went to the United site. When I entered my departing and destination cities, I got a long list of flights, all including 3 European cities, an unnecessary extra stop that didn't show up on Kayak or anywhere else but the airline site. I then called and requested the itinerary I had personally selected. Not a problem.........except it was $2030 compared to Priceline's $1154 (and all the other travel sites were within $100 of Priceline)! I then asked the United agent for the best price to Prague independent of itinerary, except with only one European stop before Prague. Best price she could give me was $1343! So I booked on Priceline, whom I've used before for domestic flights.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

Have you tried Matrix: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Or Kayak: www.kayak.com ?

Linda - was this a Priceline name your price fare, or found using a Priceline search?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

I went to Kayak, their flights are 2 stops or more. I had better luck with Expedia and Orbitz with only 1 stop from PDX, and nonstops coming from Seattle.

Thank you to everyone.

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

My Priceline fare was from a Kayak search--not a name your own fare.

Linda

8. Re: Airport/customs/luggage pickup questions please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 06, 2014