We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration at jfk in transit

man
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Immigration at jfk in transit

I'm flying American Airlines,Manchester to Toronto,connecting at jfk,will I have to clear immigration & collect bags?

I'm arriving & departing terminal 8,with only 90 mins in between!!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
1. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

Short answer, yes.

But your bags will be checked through, so once you have gone through customs there is a belt to deposit them on. You won't need to check in again.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,363 posts
2. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

Coming back you will clear US formalities in Toronto so all you will need to do is make your way through security to your connecting flight home

man
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

Thanks thats a great help,wasn't sure as only in transit @ jfk if I'd have to do immigration,hopefully no long queues!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

The USA does not have a separate "in transit" area.

Everyone arriving in our country goes through immigration unless they have boarded at a few of the airports in Canada or Ireland where they do USA immigration there.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
17,138 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

I personally think 90 mins is a bit short - immigration queues at JFK could easily be up to 60 mins depending on other arrivals when you land.

It could be done in 90 mins but equally you could miss the connecting flight.

Even though you are only "in transit" you will still need an ESTA to enter USA - I assume you have this in place.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

In Sept it took us 2 hours to clear immigration in JFK, nightmare...

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
32,290 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

I assume ( and hope) you are on one ticket. If so, the airline is responsible for you. They may have a method of getting you onto a short line. I know in terminal 4 people with short connection times can sometimes get a card that allows them to use a shorter line.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,563 posts
8. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

It's a pity Air Transat only fly Manchester to Toronto once a week otherwise it would have been an ideal choice - direct, quicker, no US transit and cheaper to boot.

Alternatively Lufthansa via Munich would be an option

Edited: 5:42 pm, February 03, 2013
man
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

Thanks.Yep all in place as we are going to New York on way back for few days,luckily with same airline for all flights so they'll have to put us on nx one if miss connecting flight!!

man
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Immigration at jfk in transit

Thanks.Yep all in place as we are going to New York on way back for few days,luckily with same airline for all flights so they'll have to put us on nx one if miss connecting flight!!