We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any chance of upgrades etc?

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Any chance of upgrades etc?

This may sound silly but I am travelling at the end of April from Gatwick to Orlando with BA for our honeymoon would we be able to get free upgrades or anything nice like that? I don't want to sound rude asking!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

only way of guaranteeing an upgrade is by paying for it....

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

Yes I thought that. II'm not fussed at all but was just wondering. I got a good price on the package so I'm just pleased with that!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

Airlines have a very strict order of upgrades,which in BA's case is governed by your civ number.Upgrades go to Premiers,Gold Guest List Gold then Silver card holders.You have more chance of being struck by lightening I'm afraid.

If you tell BA its your honeymoon,the CSD/CSM may bring you a glass of fizz,but probably thats as good as it will get.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling I had no chance but even just a drink would be nice!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

You can always try asking at check-in if there are any paid upgrades available and if so, for how much - they are sometimes surprisingly reasonably priced.

Edit - or indeed, see if there are any upgrade offers in Manage My Booking in the weeks before your flight.

Edited: 10:50 am, February 02, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

Free upgrades to anything other than elite frequent flyers or full fare paying passengers are a long time thing of the past; they were good when they existed but the last total freebie I got was in the mid 1990s. You may not be be the only honeymoon couple (congrats btw) on that flight, or 70th/80 birthday, or 25th anniversary.

Or you could as mentioned above see if there's an offer to purchase an upgrade. Don't know which cabin you're booked into, but remember that if you're in economy, then if you upgrade you'll also have to pay the premium rate for the dreaded Air Passenger Duty; that's £65 for regular economy but that doubles to £130 for premium cabins, including premium economy (World Traveller Plus).

Edited: 1:50 pm, February 02, 2013
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

It may happen, just don't count on it. BA upgraded me twice in 2011 and I have no status with them.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

Why do lots of honeymooners always think they should get freebies? Airlines are businesses not charities and are run accordingly. Regrettably the only way to guarantee an upgrade is to pay for it.

Flying with BA should bring free drinks anyway.

Regards

Jim

London, United...
Level Contributor
26,571 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

I have to say, I'm with jim, I really don't get it. Even a free drink would be nice? Seriously, just buy your own. I can honestly say when I went on honeymoon looking for freebies was the last thing on my mind.

If you want a drink or champagne, just buy it, also the same for the cabin class you wish, freebies for honeymooners really only occur in episodes of friends.

Be happy with what you have, otherwise it will simply lead to disappointment,

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any chance of upgrades etc?

I actually scored a free upgrade last year from Toronto to LA. (on a reward ticket to boot)

There was all kinds of screw ups with the ticket at time of issuing. It was a united ticket on Air Canada metal and United was in the middle of that whole blending with continental situation.

I ended up at the airport pretty early for the flight to inquire about an issue. After sorting out the whole ticketing disaster at the Air Canada desk (United was useless in this endeavor), they upgraded me to business class pod for free. I offered to pay for the upgrade and they waved me off with a don't worry about it. It was sweet!