We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport security???

11 posts
Save Topic
Airport security???

Hi,

I want to be prepared for the security checks on my flight next week, but everyone I talk to seems to have different opinions.

According to the Heathrow Airport website, items that will trigger the scanners can be left in your hand luggage on the x-ray tray. Do most airports allow this too?

Coats must be removed and placed on a tray - but what is a coat? Is my hoodie a coat whether it has a zip or not? If a hoodie is something I have to remove, can I just keep it in my carry on bag to save time going through security? Or will they make me remove it?

Can I have an extra pair of shoes in my carry on bag when it goes through the x-ray like a pair of Coverse trainers or slip on trainers? Will I have to take them out of the bag?

Cheers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
53,640 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport security???

Your hoodie is a coat, zip notwithstanding. If it's outerwear it will have to go in a bin through the scanner. Shoes in your carryon bag .... I'd take them out and put them in a bin as well.

The LHR website has information that may or may not be adhered to on the day. To that end I usually have a spare clear plastic bag in which I put my phone, camera, house keys, laptop cord and wireless mouse. That bag comes out of my rollaboard and goes in a bin along with my laptop. Why? Just to minimise the poential 'what's all this then?' aggro that could happen if those items stay in my bag.

Sometimes the laptop can stay in its neoprene sleeve, sometimes not; I always ask whilst showing the laptop and sleeve.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
57,055 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport security???

Any outer piece of clothing is a "coat". Yes, you can have it in your carryon and you do not have to remove it from there. You don't have to take shoes OUT of your carryon either as they will x ray the bag.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport security???

Just went through security 8 times last week and we had shoes in our carry on (we didnt' take checked luggage), so had 6 pair of extra shoes and nooone made us take them out (family of 5, that's why we had so many extra).

Was also in LA and we had 4 extra pairs in carry on and weren't made to take them off at th3 4 times we went through.

They didn't make me take off my zip up hoodie, but made my husband take off his non zip up hoodie, so it may just be luck of the draw. But I certainly wouldn't worry about the shoes, no need to remove them.

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport security???

Thanks for responding, guys.

It seems opinions differ because it comes down to the luck of the draw on the moment, as maried11 says.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport security???

It really is insanely variable - the British seem to be very concerned about your liquids ("take it out of your hand luggage and put it in the bin") but less so about electronics and your shoes. Americans fixate on your shoes. Canadians are all over the place.

I'm also not sure a hoodie classifies as a coat - I only put an actual coat /jacket in the bin....but you never know - so be prepared.

What I do is have everything accessible - I listen, while in the line, to what the Security people are saying and when I get to the actual table I say "what about my iPad/phone/kindle" and take it from there...

Extra shoes should be fine in your bag.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport security???

Yes, we were in the USA, Mexico and Canada and our shoes were fine in all places. This time, I didn't have to take my liquids out anywhere (but I had them packed properly and at the top if I did) and it was really easy, but who knows.

Good luck anyway, might as well be prepared for all scenarios: easy slip off shoes, liquids in the proper bags at the top of carry to get out easy, etc. May make your life easier.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport security???

At Berlin, they had a TV screen with little cartoon type characters showing you exactly what to keep on and take off and what to put in the bins to be scanned. I was amazed to see how many people still didn't do the right thing. I nearly was one of them I forgot I had a belt on with a big metal buckle.

Some people were asked to take off their shoes and some weren't.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport security???

i really think it's part of the security strategy to keep people guessing.

any strict adherance to the guidelines gives too much opportunty to circumnavigate them.

i really have no problem with that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport security???

I'm also not convinced a hoodie is a coat. I don't wear them, but my daughter, now 15 does and she has never been asked to take one off. However if it has a zip in it, I would recommend proactively taking it off, as the metal could set off the detector.

I agree it's simply luck on the day and there is no one practice strictly adhered to,

London
Level Contributor
8,045 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport security???

really think it's part of the security strategy to keep people guessing. <<<<<

Yes agree, one security guy actually told me that every week there is slightly different procedure.