We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

I'm currently searching for Christmas flights yet websites like Opoda and eDreams list flights that don't exist on the airline's websites.

I prefer to book with the airline when possible but these third parties offer flights on bargain airlines (mostly Chinese) that are much cheaper than better airlines. Problem is these Chinese websites don't seem to have bookings for the dates available or even bookings for weeks before those dates.

Chinese airline websites are terrible from what I've found, so booking with them seems difficult even in the best case scenario so to get these cheap flights a third party is looking likely.

But just how are third parties able to list flights that don't exist on the airline's websites?

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

The third parties are probably "taking a flyer" that these flights will be available at dates in the future based on current schedules. If the flight changes or indeed never exists, well then good luck getting through to their call centres for a flight change or refund.

IMO you deserve all the hassle you get if you book using either of these two, most especially eDreams but also Opodo since Opodo now seems to use the same back end systems for orders as eDreams.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

I don't know, but if the airline isn't offering the flights, because it's too eary to book (and for next Christmas dates, it probably is), you can't book them.

Anyone can put whatever they like on line. It doesn't mean it's correct. I don't know what "cheap" airlines you are considering but they sound a bit dodgy.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

Yeah I wouldn't book with eDreams but I thought Opodo was a bit more reputable.

Problem I have is I need Christmas Australia flights which really need booking in the next week or two, yet I'm faced with lots of third parties selling flights on cheap airlines like China Eastern, China Southern, China Airlines, Asiana Airlines and Malayasian Airlines. All of which have the worst airline websites I have ever used so booking directly seems next to impossible. That's without even factoring in the gambling issue you've mentioned of the third parties taking chances.

I even phoned China Eastern the other day and they said they wouldn't have flights returning Jan 4th for another month or two, when the majority of airlines have either released them already or will be on Feb 4th. Waiting until March or April for what could be the cheapest deal is taking a risk. I want my flights booked by mid Feb at the latest.

I think LastMinute.com and Expedia are the only third parties I can fully trust, and the latter never seems to show up on Skyscanner for some reason.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

Why not call a good agent like Trailfinders who will be able to guide you through the maze of fares.

You money is safe and they don't do dodgy deals.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

Someone at work suggested Trailfinders too. I'm just not convinced they can find me the best deal. They can only check the fares on the day I call/go see them, and I've learned you have to monitor fares for weeks to get the right deal.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

Most major airlines don't post schedules until 330 days out (330 days from today = 28 Dec). That means for Christmas, it's a bit too early. If these are LCC's, they may use a a time span of less than 330 days to post schedules. I would wait a couple of weeks and see if the flights show up on the airlines schedule before booking through a 3rd party site.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
15,938 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

" I'm just not convinced they can find me the best deal."

___

I'd suggest using Trailfinders too. What you think may be a good deal online through a third party such as eDreams more often isn't the case.

It looks like you've done a good bit of research into which airlines so go to Trailfinders with this information and they will work ot which is best for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

I bought tickets to New Zealand through Trailfinders last April , leaving in a few days time . They were excellent at telling me how to change my dates by a few days to get the best business class prices on Cathay Pacific. No hard sell and the prices have only gone up since I booked.

Pursuing the very cheapest prices doesn't always get you the best deal.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

Just so you know Opodo and edreams are part of the same company so Trailfinders is probably a better option.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do third parties list flights that don't exist?

"Pursuing the very cheapest prices doesn't always get you the best deal."

So true. That's why we get so many "NEVER USE" posts on thes forum.