We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

Using the BA website- I can book my local airport- Kelowna in Canada to Manchester UK return- its Kelowna, Calgary, LHR, MAN and same back. But I only need to fly to LHR going , will fly back from MAN.

The BA website will not let me book the Manchester flight just on the return leg unless I book it as a separate flight which costs a lot more- basically thrown in "free" if its Kelowna-MAN return.

So, I am right in thinking that if I miss that LHR- MAN flight on the outward trip- they will cancel the return leg also?

I tried phoning BA, hung on 50 mins then they closed!!!

Many thanks for any help.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

Missing one leg of a trip? forfeit rest - EVERY AIRLINE. (apart from the point to point low cost carriers).

Try ground transport to MAN (it is probably faster anyway).

Book an Open Jaw ticket using the multi-city path on the airline website...

Kelowna-London the the return Manchester-Kelowna.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

+1 to the above. The multi-city option should be quite sufficient for your needs...but. Since BA don't fly from MAN to YYC you'll need to go back to LHR in any event so play around with YYC-LHR-MAN-LHR-YYC and see what you come up with.

Please allow sufficient time to make the connections at LHR T5 since your flights from and to YYC will very likely use a gate at one of the satellite terminal buildings. You will need to go through passport control at T5 Flight Connections as well as Security for the journey from Calgary, so allow enough time for that connection too.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

"...so play around with YYC-LHR-MAN-LHR-YYC and see what you come up with."

Just to be clear that is not a YYC-MAN return flight (Which would be YYC-LHR-MAN, MAN-LHR-YYC)

You won't have to specify LHR on the return. It will automatically figure that out for you. You should also look at Air Canada for that trip.

What does BA put you on, WestJet??

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

Too many airport IATA codes flying around here.

lazigirl,

Use the multi city option. For segment #1 enter Kelowna (YLW) to LHR. For segment #2 enter MAN to YLW.

That gives you an open jaw ticket which is priced as a round trip. The actual flights you'd take would be the ones you wanted to - YLW-YYC-LHR, then MAN-LHR-YYC-YLW - but the ticket will be perfectly legal.

Do look at Air Canada, using the same multi city option. Though it's quite possible that the return from MAN will use United from MAN to Newark, and hence US immigration/customs en route. They may offer a BA leg via LHR though, or if after March 31 even MAN-LHR on the new Virgin domestic.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

I thought we would not be able to do it, but thanks for the confirmation.

It's the return leg we would travel from MAN, my parents live close ,so much easier than driving and we did it last year- all in / out terminal 5 if I remember rightly, so easy BUT we drove to/ from Vancouver on that occasion so didn't have the complicating Canadian connection.

I've tried the multi stop option, oddly I can do YLW- MAN return, YLW - LHR return, I can even do YYC- LHR outbound then MAN- YYC inbound, but not YLW-LHR then MAN-YLW, at least not on my laptop!

BA give several flight options in Canada, WestJet ( our preferred) and AC Jazz ( have to be desperate and son refuses to get on!!!)Frankly I would rather overnight in a hotel and get an early WestJet flight next day than go on a Jazz flight after a transatlantic flight!

I'll try phoning again and see if I can actually speak to someone, but really I much prefer booking online , so frustrated.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

Sorry , was replying as the other reply came in

Airport codes, so much easier than full names!!

Air Canada wouldn't work as we like premium economy and definitely can' t afford 1st class!!

Have just tried the multi city option again, using premium economy and economy, plus different dates but still won't let me.

We want to go mid March so virgin not an option although I have looked at going via the US , but more expensive and much longer.Plus , although we have Canadian Permanent Residence , we fly on UK passports, so like most Brits here , try to avoid US immigration if we can, although to be fair they were excellent on our recent trips.

Have just realised I said would rather stay overnight in a hotel than fly AC Jazz but moaning about extra cost of Manchester - London flight !!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,693 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

I was able to get a result.

YLW > YYZ > LHR, then MAN > LHR > terminal change > YYZ > YLW.

BA from MAN > LHR. No sign of Jazz, just AC. Only $2220.00 all in for 1 adult in June.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

The BA web site has an issue with multi city and mixed economy / premium economy. Phone them.

9. Re: Missing one flight in a trip-? forfeit rest- British Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 03, 2014