We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

Hi all, new to the boards here so go easy on me ;-)

I'm in the process of planning a 4 month trip to SE Asia / Oz / New Zealand. I'm very close to booking my flights. Problem is I have two offers from two good companies that I can't choose between. Here they are:

Trailfinders:

London to Singapore (via Dubai with Emirates)

Singapore to Melbourne (Emirates)

Brisbane to Auckland (Virgin Australia)

Christchurch to London (via Sydney and Dubai with Emirates)

Total = £1142

Travel-Nation (not sure of the airline, think it's Singapore Air, apart from Oz to NZ leg which is Virgin again):

London to Bangkok

Singapore to Melbourne

Brisbane to Auckland

Christchurch to London (via Sydney)

Total = £1280

Now I know, Trailfinders is £140 odd cheaper for what's essentially the same route apart from London to Singapore rather than Bangkok. Would you say this makes much of a difference. I will be going back on myself a little with the Trailfinders route but in your opinion is this worth paying £140 extra for?

For me, customer service is also important. In fairness both companies have been great in helping me out. Travel-Nation perhaps has the edge in this department in my opinion. But is it worth the extra money, especially given I'll still be getting good service with Trailfinders?

Also, the flights with Trailfinders seem to be split into a good few more legs than Travel-Nation's. Would this make much difference to you and is it worth paying extra for?

Overall, I think they are almost equal deals. Which would you choose? Thanks in advance

Edited: 2:48 pm, January 28, 2013
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

I use Trailfinders a lot , have always found them really helpful, and they don't charge credit card charges!!! They are the only company I recommend.

Deb

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,132 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

I feel a self promo coming on

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

Tilly, Definitely not Trailfinders, they don't need to self promote.

I use Trailfinders a fair bit and never had a problem, would always choose them, but do not know travel nation so can not compare.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

I know several people who have good experience with Trailfinders so thats who I'd use but If you fancy elements of the travel nation route, ask them for a cost for that or if vice versa ask TN about the TF route, I suspect they will both come up with v similar costs.

Thing is, you are asking outwardly about trailfinders vs TN but really your question is about which route and it would have been less confusing if you'd just have stuck to that and not introduced the distraction about the different agencies.

If you are happy with both, see if there is something different with regard to arrival or departure times that sways you.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

Hi Michael, I haven't used TN but me and my mates had a great experience getting our round the world tickets with Trailfinders...

Good luck!

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

No tilly I don't work for trailfinders, wish I did work for some company that gave me a discount on travel, it was a solid bit of advice from me,I answered the question unlike yourself.

Deb

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

My parents, and lately mother have used Trailfinders and they've had excellent service.

She has also used Dial-a-Flight and they've got her to Australia, New Zealand and to me in the US very successfully. Indeed D-A-F altered her flights to the US without fuss after she called me, and then I posted and got advice from this forum.

So, for (the dwindling numbers of) genuine full service travel agents, I'd be happy with Trailfinders and Dial-A-Flight.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

I have never used Travel-Nation but have used Trailfinders in the past and didn't have a problem, mind you it was quite a few years ago.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

The question i would be asking is what else differentiates the tickets? Do you need the facility to change dates? I believe you will get a free date change service with TN but Trailfinders dont offer this.

As joeintheuk says - have you asked TN to quote on the same route or asked why they are recommending a different ticket?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trailfinders vs. Travel-Nation

Hi all, cheers for all your advice.

I've managed to get the same deal with Travel-Nation.

OntheroadUK - that was my thinking as well. Trailfinders say they charge up to £75 per ticket change, whereas TN say it's £100 for a change but you can change multiple tickets per charge.

What I don't get is it's exactly the same ticket so how can the charges be different? Do Trailfinders charge an admin fee for date changes? It's with Emirates, if that helps...