We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

I am about to book my honeymoon to vegas for June 2013 and wondered if people could give me their opinions on who they would fly with and why. Flying out of Gatwick and for a direct flight the option is either BA or Virgin. Flight times are very similar and so is price so my choice boils down to which airline has the best service, seats, In flight entertainment, meals etc.

We are most likely flying economy. Also, does anyone know if either is more likely to upgrade you for free with it being our honeymoon!?

We are then flying back to the Heathrow from San Francisco so also wondering what peoples thoughts are on that flight BA v Virgin.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

They are much of a muchness. If you want to get one of the two seat pairs at the back which have a little extra room, both will charge extra for that.

Funnily enough, neither are at all likely to give you an upgrade just because it's your honeymoon, even if you turn up wearing your full meringue wedding dress, which has happened :-)

If you want it, wait for a sale and pay for premium economy.

Edited: 7:34 am, January 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

re Gatwick-Vegas.

My mother and significant other flew that route with Virgin 18 months ago, and hated it. Not Virgin per se, but that it was a full of rowdy groups going on vacation and getting overly drunk.

Now, my mother and SO are in their seventies, so you can see why they may not have appreciated it. It can be a "party flight", so any expectation of peace and quiet (and romance) may be misplaced.

Their return - also on Virgin - was LAX-LHR and they told me that was completely different and a much nicer (and "normal") experience.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

Also, does anyone know if either is more likely to upgrade you for free with it being our honeymoon!?

----------

Haha, no.

*Cue irrelevant story how VS gave someone on their honeymoon an upgrade in 1993*

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

I flew VA from San Francisco recently and was impressed with the food, inflight ent. and general comfort. The FA were very helpful and pleasant. Would def use them again. I would recommend booking direct with the airline to avoid any unexpected hitches which third party bookings sites are not usually helpful.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,675 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

Terry B

I would go for BA hands down. They would give you the better selection of flights... BA flies to Las Vegas from both LGW and LHR....LHR is daily, LGW is 3x weekly. LHR is on the 747, LGW on the 777. BA also does two 747s a day to SFO.

BA, IMHO, gives a more consistent product especially in terms of service and meals. They really can't be beat! Be sure to earn your Avios points if you do choose BA.

Very unlikely to get a free upgrade, but perhaps you can do it on the day at the airport if you so desire.

Regards

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

Re upgrading on the day when checking in. Can this work out cheaper than pre booking the premium economy type cabin when originally booking flights?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

I prefer BA but they really are very similar so for me it really would be a price/schedule decision but you can check out recent reviews on the airquality website:

www.airlinequality.com

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,082 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

As has already been commented on, flights between UK and Las Vegas seem to attract a sometimes rowdy and heavy drinking crowd in economy seats. I have seen several large groups on hen night or stag night weekend breaks before now on the flights and have been grateful that I wasn't sitting near them. Perhaps because Virgin's advertising slogans go for a 'rock star' image, they seem to attract more of these types of passengers than BA - but that may just be the luck of the draw of the days I chose to fly to Vegas.

As to whether BA or Virgin are better on LGW-LAS, and SFO-LHR? The reality is that most airlines are pretty comparable and offer few fripperies beyond a seat, some entertainment, food and drink in economy these days. I have to assume all of Virgin's fleet now have their new AVOD, in which as there's not to much difference there either, but if it's not a refurbed aircraft, the the BA AVOD is better than old Virgin AVOD in economy. In terms of service, I find it comes down to the crew on the day, some are more helpful or pleasant than other teams on either airline.

BTW, how are you getting from Vegas to San Francisco? If you're driving and want help with a road trip, come and visit us on the road trips forum and the friendly folk there will be more than happy to help. Here's a link to find it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

SWT

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,185 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

We always try and reserve the seats at the back of the aircraft (only two seats on either side of the plane) and you pay exactly the same price for them as you can't chose them until after you have bought your ticket.

I tend to agree with most of the other posters that BA and VA are much the same.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Las Vegas, San Fran to Heathrow. BA or Virgin?

P.s. I don't know if this would be an issue for the OP, perhaps they live close to both airports, but in many cases, arriving and departing from different airports can be an absolute PITA,so just be sure you know how you would manage that.

Edited: 2:37 am, January 28, 2013