We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

Currently in Brisbane, delayed due to "scheduled maintainace" - WTF?? Going to arrive at 1am and need to get a cab to the city but we got a $5 food voucher so all good (kidding me?) never again....well till I see fare prices again!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

Hi,

I'd be surprised if it was truly "planned" maintenance as that's something that their operational planning department would schedule into the aircraft's normal routing plan.. however, it might be that the aircraft arrived late into the overnight station-- and in doing so, didn't give them enough time to get the planned work done.. This is just one case, but there could be several things that drive this.

It's not good when it happens, but in the end, the emphasis obviously needs to be safety first, but I do think that they're accountable for the delay and doing what they can or required to do for passengers under these conditions.

As far as is it normal? I suspect the answer is no.. but to be fair, we'd need large scale data; like looking at their entire operation over a fixed period of time-- not just one flight or a persons past experiences- to say whether this issue is common or not, and if so, to what extent.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 7:08 am, January 25, 2013
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

Not normal, they have omitted telling passengers something. $5 for food at any airport (given airport pricing) is a joke.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

only 4.5 hours?

u r getting off lightly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

No it's not normal, you have just hit unlucky, it happens with all airlines. They have their fair share of delays, yes, but they do perform on a percentage basis better than other airlines, even though they are relatively small. The five dollars is fairly typical.

You can check out their monthly and annual performance stats on line

bitre.gov.au/statistics/…otp_month.aspx

bitre.gov.au/statistics/…otp_annual.aspx

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,652 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

IMO those stats must be massaged somehow; I fly Jetstar often and very rarely have a delay of more than a few minutes if at all; yet Tiger is often delayed for a while or cancelled altogether. I have heard so many Tiger horror stories from fellow travellers (and of the handful of Tiger flights I have been on about a third were significantly delayed).

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
381 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

You pay for what you get.. Low budget Airline

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

I'm not sure how they do that, I don't think they feed into the stats, it's done by an independent body on independently sourced information, so they are not providing the data.

However it could be that for some airports they have a worse record than others, as these numbers are simply high level ie overall

You are still looking at one in ten or one in five flights being cancelled or delayed, less than industry average yes, but still a fair number, and of course their delays could be more extreme. But it is comparable to all airlines.

Is it normal, as the op asked, no, the majority of their flights are on time, but that's overall, it does not mean they don't have particular issues at a given airport, where they may have a worse record.

I'm certainly not defending them, I'm simply providing a link to some factual information and high level answering the question.

8. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:26 am, January 26, 2013
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

Stats always need to be analysed..on the surface Tiger do look OK, but when you look at the average number of flights per day over the year which is 22 the 89% is pretty poor compared to Jetstar's which is 191 flights per day and Qantas 333 flights.

Tiger are renowned for being tardy but with insufficient planes there is not much they can do...being now partially owned by Virgin they may get access to more aircraft.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,652 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delayed 4.5 hours with Tiger Airways, is this normal?

Well I guess if you cancel a flight altogether it's not going to appear in the stats for a delayed flight.