We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking a bag on return?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Checking a bag on return?

Hi folks,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand for a couple of weeks in June, it's my first time there and my first time travelling alone, can't wait!

My question is however, I plan to carry all my belongings as hand luggage to save checking a bag. I was wondering if I could do this on the outbound journey but then by a small case whilst there to check in on the return for souvenirs etc. Basically bringing back more than I took out.

I've got a backpack that fits the hand luggage dimension allowances and I know I can fit all my stuff in it but there will not be enough room for anything else.

Any help would be appreciated!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking a bag on return?

No reason why not as long as you are within your airline's baggage allowances.

Be aware that customs can access the records to see how much baggage you checked on the way out - bringing a lot more back may raise a flag. In reality, however, this is a fairly small risk I'd have thought - plenty of people go cheap shopping in the States, for example.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking a bag on return?

I do this all the time. No worries.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,828 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking a bag on return?

What are you saving by not checking in a bag on the outward leg? It's free and unless you are in a terrific hurry when you arrive in Thailand it won't save you

Much time. Relax with theming mum you need for on the flightbandvtravel light with checked in luggagevthat you can fill for your return.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking a bag on return?

Much time. Relax with theming mum you need for on the flightbandvtravel light with checked in luggagevthat you can fill for your return

<<<<<<<<<

????????

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,638 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking a bag on return?

Same as gracie-boo said....what does Much time. Relax etc etc mean????

Edited: 11:36 am, January 23, 2013
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking a bag on return?

Be great to relax with a theming mum. She could have a different theme every day.

Pub lunch today Arandora?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking a bag on return?

Remember you cannot carry much in the way of liquids and gels with hand baggage only.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,828 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking a bag on return?

"... it won't save you much time. Relax with the minimum you need for on the flight and travel light with checked in luggage that you can fill for your return."

I would have thought was obvious! LOL

Sorry, no spell check on iPhone - and it was after a couple of beers with dinner!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking a bag on return?

I got that, but I used to read surgeons' and anaesthetists' hand-written documentation, too :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,733 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checking a bag on return?

Actually there is spell check on iPhone but the problem is the small type. I usually can't read what I just wrote, when I read some of my posts afterwards on my computer I am often embarrassed.