We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag check/layover question

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Topic
Bag check/layover question

Early next month I have a flight from BQN-PVD with a layover in MCO. Due to a schedule change on Jetblue's part, our layover is now 7.5 hours. When I originally bought the tickets, I did have to buy separate tickets from BQN-MCO and MCO-PVD because the layover was about two minutes outside of their 4-hour layover cutoff that allows you to buy everything on one ticket. I called JB when I bought the tickets and asked if my bag would be checked through from BQN to PVD despite the layover (4 hours at that time) and was assured yes. When the flight schedules changed, I called again several times to confirm that our bag would be able to be checked through as I am aware that airline software will only let them check bags a certain number of hours out. I was assured that yes, they would be able to. I called one more time this morning and was told that this was absolutely not the case because the flights are on different tickets and the software won't allow it.

My questions are as follows: Is this actually true, or were the first two answers I was given correct? Is there a set cutoff time for bags being able to be checked through?

Also, I was told that on my flight from PVD-BQN tonight, (also with a layover in MCO, layover only about 2.5 hours, also bought on separate confirmations because one flight was bought with FF miles and one in cash) my bag also would not be able to be checked through because the flights were not "connecting" and the confirmation #'s were different. I find this hard to believe because I have flown from Boston to BQN plenty of times on JB, with tickets that were separate confirmation numbers, and have not had to recheck my bag at the layover airport.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bag check/layover question

When flying on two separate tickets, even on the same airline, it is entirely at the check in agent's discretion as to whether the bags are checked through. They usually will, but they don't have to.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bag check/layover question

Thanks for the info, Leics.

3. Re: Bag check/layover question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 25, 2014