We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many men on the airplane

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Too many men on the airplane

"There was more than the usual tension in the Liverpool departure lounge: easyJet’s morning flight to Geneva could not take off because it was too heavily loaded. As passengers mentally weighed their fellow travellers, the airline had to explain that some of them would have to stay behind."

independent.co.uk/news/…

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Too many men on the airplane

Someone of 5ft will naturally weigh less than someone of 6'6". So is the weight limit sizeist as well as sexist?>>>>>

You haven't walked down the streets of Melbourne recently!! The amount of hefty short people around nowadays is frightening. 70kgs for women and 35kgs for kids is a bit lean for today's obesity problem.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Too many men on the airplane

You haven't walked down the streets of Melbourne recently!! The amount of hefty short people around nowadays is frightening. 70kgs for women and 35kgs for kids is a bit lean for today's obesity problem.

More than a bit.That contains a cabin bag as well.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Too many men on the airplane

"then claim EU261/2004 compensation en-masse.I would love to hear Easyjets excuse for refusing that claim."

Probably extraordinary circumstances! It is pretty extraordinary.

The funny thing is if there had been an average distribution of males and females the flight would have taken off - even though the weight could well have been the same or even greater.

Maybe Easyjet should change their slogan from "If you're late, we won't wait" to "With your weight, we'll be late."

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Too many men on the airplane

Maybe Easyjet should change their slogan from "If you're late, we won't wait" to "With your weight, we'll be late."

rofl

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Too many men on the airplane

My biggest fear in flying is that one of theses vastly overweight persons will sit next to me and not only fill their seat but overlap into mine, I'd be trapped like a rat, it's happened before, some of there's men and women need to buy two seats, more and more airlines will face this issue with so many overweight people.

London, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Too many men on the airplane

I think it must be EasyJet's fuel policy, as others have already pointed out full service airlines do not have this problem, even on domestic or European flights where the seating is quite dense and there are a lot of 'men' (with their manbags/laptops)

- more weight = more fuel, which in turn because it also has a weight has to be offset with...more fuel !

I do believe Ryannair have had some fuel problems.....ie not carrying enough for unexpected circumstances !!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Too many men on the airplane

"I think it must be EasyJet's fuel policy, as others have already pointed out full service airlines do not have this problem,"

Actually, yes they do.This affects all airlines. Usually what happens if the numbers don't add up is that baggage is off-loaded. This is one of the more prevalent reasons for delayed baggage. But passengers can also be off-loaded.

Each aircraft has a Maximum Takeoff Weight (which includes the weight of the aircraft, fuel, baggage, cargo and people). The first four are easy to calculate, based on actual known weights or by assuming that the maximum allowance has been used. But passenger weights have to be guesstimated because the passengers aren't weighed. And the formula for this assumes men are heavier than women.

So it is the fact that there were too many men on the airplane that caused the total (guesstimated) weight to be over the maximum. They were not legal to take off, no matter how much or little fuel was on board.

Fuel levels themselves are heavily regulated, and all aircraft must have enough for contingencies, no matter what the weight of the aircraft.

Edited: 10:42 am, January 23, 2013
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Too many men on the airplane

Someone told me that the elimination or cut back on blankets, pillows, magazines food services are really to decrease weight and fuel cost. Taking out the clunky entertainment hardware and replace with wifi would help too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Too many men on the airplane

>>>Probably extraordinary circumstances! It is pretty extraordinary.<<<

Doesn't matter how extraordinary it might have been, there would have been no defence to a potential claim for denied boarding.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Too many men on the airplane

A very recent Jetstar flight from Manilla- Darwin had to off load a lot of the passengers baggage to take on extra fuel. The reason being due to storms in the area it was considered that the plane may have to fly further to bypass the storms and if necessary, land at a different airport.

Sometimes safety is important.