We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat selection on Air Japan

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Seat selection on Air Japan

I'm trying to book flights from United to Tokyo. The flight I want uses Air Japan. United will not allow me to select seats until 2 weeks prior to the flight date. I heard that Air Japan is a charter airline (sub of ANA) that normally sells its seats to tour wholesalers. Is that the reason they will not let you select seats when you book the flight? You end up getting whatever seats are left if they cannot be sold to tours?

Edited: 3:04 am, January 19, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,092 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Seat selection on Air Japan

Hi,

They do both scheduled and charter. All Nippon has it set up like this as it allows All Nippon (as the parent company) to staff these Air Japan (NQ) flights with non-Japanese, non-union represented cabin crew (many of whom are Thai and Philippine nationals) and other staff-- so a cost savings to All Nippon.

This is very much in like with what their direct competitor, Japan Airlines had with their former JALWays arm.

You'd need to call All Nippon (as they handle all operational aspects of NQ) and see what the arrangement is on NQ operated sectors.

Since it appears you're in Honolulu, you can call their airport office, 838-0190

Travel Safe,

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Seat selection on Air Japan

I have the same problem when booking UA codeshare on ANA's website. GOPBI is correct on the best way to get the seats you want.

Actually 95% of the cabin crew are Japanese. However most have worked at other airlines outside Japan. The others are usually from the country that NQ flies to for language purposes.

Air Japan is not a "charter" airline. As GOBPI states they are a subsidiary of ANA and as such flies the same B767 aircraft as ANA. Currently flying the HNL, HKG, SGN, SIN and DLC routes to name a few.

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Seat selection on Air Japan

Sorry I forget to add that once I have the ticket number from ANA I have used that to pull up my reservation on UA's website and then I am able to pick the seats I want. I have not had the opportunity to book through UA on a ANA codeshare but it's worth a shot. I hope that helps.

Edited: 1:18 pm, February 23, 2013
4. Re: Seat selection on Air Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 25, 2014