We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

I will call them in morning but thought I would ask here... going to Mexico by way of Calgary on Westjet. I read the website & got that one checked bag is free if its 50lbs or less but if it is between 50-100 lbs, the charge is $50.

But to check a second bag (under 50 lbs), they charge $20.

So why wouldn't I just take a small bag that can piggyback on my larger one, both would be manageable for me & I wouldn't be panicking about a few pounds & save $30?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,371 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

Given the choice between checking one very heavy bag or taking a second, lighter bag, and paying just $C20, I would choose the latter option.

Are you flying on Westjet metal all the way from the 'Peg to Mexico?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

yes, all Westjet..., Winnipeg to Calgary, change planes to PV..... I'm hoping the $20 is for both flights, otherwise I'm saving $10 instead of $30.

The $50 regardless if its 5 lbs or 50 is kind of strange. I guess I will find out for sure when I call tomorrow.

Thanks for your input. :)

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

I'm surprised that an airline would allow a 100lb bag. In Australia the limit is 32kg (~70lb) per bag to preserve the occupational health of baggage handlers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,371 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

DebiLynn, I've yet to find an airline that charges baggage fees for a return flight, they're usually set for one sector, so $C20 outbound and another $20 inbound.

Can you place your smaller bag inside the larger for the oubound flight?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

I talked to Westjet today as I had to ask about special assistance anyway (disability) & the agent I spoke to said that I would save myself $30 each way by just taking the 2nd bag if my luggage is over the 50lbs. This saves me from the worry about being overweight and gives me the ability to distribute the weight into 2 bags (let alone if I want to purchase anything there).

You are correct TravellerPlus, the fees are $20 out and $20 inbound. :)

So now I'm set & since I used Airmiles for my flight, the extra $40 won't hurt too much. :)

Have a great day!! :)

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

if i have 2 suitcases and they are overweight 5 to 7lbs each what is trhe overweight cost travelling to mo-bay in sept.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

if i should carry 2 pieces of overweight luggage say about 5 or 7 lbs each what is the cost

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

If I remember right (was back in January that I spoke to someone at WestJet).... you are allowed 1 piece of checked luggage & if you take another piece, it is $20 but if either piece is over the 50lb limit, you pay an extra $50 per piece. So if I am correct, you would be paying $120 at the airport after they are weighed each way. You can contact WestJet to make sure this is correct. Their phone number is on the website. They were very easy to speak to.

Have a good trip!

Edited: 1:59 pm, August 28, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

I know other airlines where it too is less expensive to take 2 bags than 1 overweight bag. I think the airlines would rather handle the lighter bags, than have their personnel dealing with oversized and overweight luggage.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Westjet baggage allowance-am I reading their site correctly?

i realise i have to pay $20.00 for one piece checking ln, two pieces if they are both over weigjht what will be the cost for overweight travelling to montego bay september

thanks doug.