We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

We would like to go to Oahu and Maui in May. I have been following prices and it is lowest at $900 ish. Plane seats still look empty. Do I book or wait for better price.

MSP-HNL (stay 2 night)

HNL-OGG (stay 10 nights)

Ogg-MSP

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

No one can predict the price for you, there is another thread on this. Find a price you are happy with and book it and then don't look back, prices could go up or go down.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

If you book on Alaska, you can get a credit if the price goes down. I put my information on to yapta.com (I think TA has a similar feature) and they email me if the price drops. Call Alaska and they will give you a credit for your "wallet" which you can use next time you book. They will do that as many times as the price drops. Other airlines have a minimum drop (I think it's American where the price has to drop $150 to get the credit.) If you have an Alaska credit card you get a companion fare ($99 + tax) which we used to go to Maui for Thanksgiving. Helped ease the hurt of over $1K tickets. (This information will help you for next year's trip to Hawaii!!) We bought for Memorial Day this year to the Big Island for $674 in Dec. and the price hasn't dropped yet. Still hoping! Good luck.

Sally in Seattle

Salem, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

We just went to Maui at the beginning of November and stayed for 10 days. We paid $322 including tax RT from Portland, OR. Trip Advisor sent me an email when the prices droped so we were able to get the deal, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the low airfare. We also took an inter-island flight from Maui to Oahu for the day for $120 RT or $60 one way on go airlines. The best prices I have seen to Hawaii are usually Nov and Dec before the holidays and Jan-Feb. I have seen ok pricing in May, but it goes up and is really expensive during the summer months. Hope you find a good deal.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

I just thought since Minneapolis is a hub with lots of choices, it should be much less.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

It is almost 5000 miles. What would you consider a fair price?

We pay in the 900 range when we go then use miles to upgrade to first class.

You might get a bit less by flying through ORD.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
618 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

Clark howard and other finance gurus are saying 3 months for best coach prices. also, the airlines move their schedules around before 3 months then tend to firm them up. If there are going to be connections , etc, i'd book at 3 months.

7. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 19, 2014