We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Virgin - Help!

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Hi

I have looked at the FAQ on ryanair and searched this forum. I have never flown Ryanair before and want to be clear on their policies so as not to be stung for charges.

Am I right that there is no way to check in without paying a fee?

The best method is online check in, pay £6 and print your own boarding pass?

If you are taking hold bags the fee is £15 for 15kg, but do you also get 10kg cabin bag free of charge in addition to your hold bag?

Thanks for any help.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Hi

The £6 check in fee is part f the breakdown of Ryanair charges, so when you book and pay for your flight you don't have to pay it again to check in.

Start off by doing a dummy booking, that is go as far as the point to put in your card details to see what it will cost once you have added any extras you may wish to purchase. Hold luggage, priority boarding etc. then when you get to the total make a note of the cost and then try a couple of other airlines to see how it compares.

With Ryanair you do get 10kg of hand luggage, Easyjet unlimited weight but with some of the charters put a pencil in a carrier bag and you are over the limit.

Follow the rules with Ryanair which are explained over and over to you by email and you will be fine.

Jackie

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Hi

Just one quick point, if you do get an acceptable price go ahead and book it, the price might double tomorrow, or then again it might go down. So if it's a decent price grab it.

Jackie

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Thanks for your help.

Can I take the cabin bag in addition to the hold luggage without paying further?

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Yes but check the dimensions very carefully, if it doesn't fit in the cage easily it will be put in the hold and you will be charged accordingly.

:-)

Edited: 2:39 am, January 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Nothing of substance to add. But kudos to the OP for checking up on Ryanair **before** flying.

Unlike most who don't and then whine and complain after the fact.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,565 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

< The best method is online check in, pay £6 and print your own boarding pass? >

Print a number of copies of your boarding pass - it has been known for printed passes to "fail" and the passenger having to pay the "reprinting" "fee"

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

It's ONE piece of cabin luggage. Not cabin luggage and e.g. a purse.

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

Thanks all for your help.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,405 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

The £15 fee is only for low season i.e. until the end of March. After that it goes up. If you are unsure of how much weight you might need then I'd opt to pay the extra £5 for another 5kg. Most suitcases weigh at least 5kg so that does not leave you much to actually put in it. Also you are aware that charge is per sector so round trip it doubles, right?

Where and when are you flying to and from? You have to be careful with this airline as by the time you add everything on the price can really shoot up. Perhaps there is another alternative.

Good luck with your first Ryanar flight. Let us know how you get on.

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair Virgin - Help!

I am hoping to fly Manchester to Rome. Surprisingly the options for this route are limited.

Will report back!