We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelup

Newcastle upon...
2 posts
Travelup

Hi guys,

Booked 2 flights to Delhi with Travelup last night. Depsite being an obsessive review-reader and planning this trip to the tiniest detail, I didn't read reviews for this as I stupidly thought that a flight is jut a flight and the travel agent would be a middle-man, the flight would be booked with Finnair and would be guaranteed. After reading reviews, I see that everyone has said they cancel your flights and demand more cash, etc.. If I ring Finnair, and they say flights are confirmed, how can Travelup legally cancel it?

I have rang my credit card company who have said it is too late and the flight has gone through. It is 6 weeks to go. Is there anything I can do or have I just got to hold my breath and hope I don't get scammed? We haven't paid our guide yet and am wondering if we should just cancel the trip. :(

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
17,112 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Travelup

"We haven't paid our guide yet and am wondering if we should just cancel the trip."

Cancelling would be your worst course of action, your tickets are probably non refundable and cancelling means you simply lose your money.

All you can do is keep an eye on your booking via the Finnair website, have you got the PNR/Confirmation no so you can do this.

If Finnair say your flghts are confirmed you should be ok - at least you paid by cc so your credit card company may be equally liable if Travelup fail to deliver the service you purchased.

Newcastle upon...
2 posts
2. Re: Travelup

Thanks Tom.

I know we would lose the flight money, but if we pay our guide (who has booked hotels and everything) then at the last minute we have the problems everybody else seems to have had, then we lose the whole lot.

I can't understand how it's legal to cancel someone's tickets if you have already made the booking with the airline and taken the money. The fact that we have realised 6 weeks ahead makes me think there must be some way of protecting ourselves but I can't see what.

Surely a company can't just 'decide' you haven't paid them enough, and cancel your flight without consent. If a shop wrongly tickets something, they have to sell you it at that price.

I am going to ring Finnair at 8am tomorrow, as soon as they open. Am so cross at myself as have been so careful with every other aspect. I wouldn't even have minded paying more for a more reputable company, I guessed having used Skyscanner a million times, that I could trust companies found on there. Doh.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
17,112 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Travelup

You might want to look at taking out independent traveller insurance - as you have a confirmed flight that has not been canclled this could cover the hotel/guide costs if there was a problem with the flight between now and travel.

Just make sure you undestand the policy terms and conditions - as I said if Finnair have said you're confirmed you should be ok, there are companies that I would worry about more than Travelup.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: Travelup

Do what Tom says, track your flight on Finnair to check its been booked. If you cancel now, you stand to lose a bunch of money almost certainly needlessly.

If its all booked and confirmed >>and ticketed<< then you are good to go.

This may take 2 or 3 days. If after a few days it's not ticketed, (ask Finnair) then contact your credit card company and dispute the charge and do what you should have done in the first place, which is not believe that there is a ticket fairy that has super cheap flights, and buy direct.

I would NOT cancel today, because it's too soon and Travelup could plausibly say they just hadn't got round to confirming it all yet especially as its a weekend. I can't be bothered to look at Travelups Ts&Cs but its likely they have a two stage booking process anyway, so you may be the recipient of an email that says its all booked, or more likely it's gone up in price and do you want to pay the extra at which point you can say no, geta refund, and book direct.

Birmingham, United...
1 post
5. Re: Travelup

I have booked to go to Canada with them and they havent added my passport details to the APIS register and I fly in 2 weeks. I have emailed these details across and chased them up but have been passed from dept to dept, put on hold for ages, cut off and just generally ignored. Fortunately I have booked with BA and i called them directly and they confirmed that the details had not been added but did them for me over the phone. BA's phone number is 0871 909 2303. I suggest you call the airlines direct if you can and get them to help you and then make a complaint to the Avaiation bodies that TravelUp are registered with. They will get struck off if they have too many complaints. Fingers crossed my problems are now solved but its very scary when you have spent so much money to read some of these comments. Perhaps next time I will check Trip Advisor before I think I'm getting a bargain! Good luck to anyone havving problems. Fingers crossed.

Level Contributor
33 posts
6. Re: Travelup

I have booked with Travelup several times and never had a problem. I think you are worrying needlessly due to a few negative comments you have read on Tripadvisor. Only people with a grievance seem to post. The ones who dont have a problem just get on with their lives. It is so easy to check your booking directly with the airline either by phone or on the internet.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: Travelup

I have booked to go to Canada with them and they havent added my passport details to the APIS register and I fly in 2 weeks

--------

Why didn't you do it online yourself?

8. Re: Travelup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 25, 2013
Edited: 2:35 pm, February 25, 2013
9. Re: Travelup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 25, 2013
Edited: 2:35 pm, February 25, 2013
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
288 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Travelup

I was also just about to book a couple of flights for my Daughter and her friend to go to Uganda via Skyscanner on Emirates. Prices were good, but the phone call was poor and just before I booked I started to get cold feet especially as it was 2% extra for a credit card booking.

I'm not sure about going ahead now. I had reserved the seats for 24hrs as it said there were only 2 left. Another agent called Euro Africa Travel can match the price, they seem to be a small shop in Bethnal Green but they are a lot better one the phone.

Since I started writing this I had a phone call from the agent pushing me to book, I said I was unhappy about the reviews and he said there are lots of other review sites!